U.S.M.C. 1959 Mitchell Cover Madness

The Rooster

Greetings all. I thought I would display my latest pursuit.

1959 Mitchell pattern M1 Helmet covers. 3 of them came in on helmets. 2 of the helmets are WW2 front seam and one of those is a fixed bail

(The one with the Desert side out....)........They all 3 have

December 1959 U.S.M.C. Covers. The other two I got just the covers.

One has seen a lot of use and the other is minty. Both of those are April 1959 U.S.M.C.

And the seller of one sent me the plastic bag and I'm not sure what it is?? I think, it me be some sort of leaflet

for VC to turn them selves in ? Prob way off... Anyone know ?

Im really digging the Mitchell pattern.

DSCF3348.JPG

DSCF3347.JPG

DSCF3350.JPG

DSCF3351.JPG

DSCF3356.JPG

DSCF3353.JPG

Nice covers.

The bag, known as a “Chieu Hoi” bag was part of a psy-Ops program and was meant to hold a 20rd M16 magazine and be discarded once the magazine removed, doubling as a safe conduct pass.  A clever way of littering the countryside with safe conduct passes for aspiring VC/NVA defectors.

13 hours ago, Doctorofwar said:

Nice covers.

The bag, known as a “Chieu Hoi” bag was part of a psy-Ops program and was meant to hold a 20rd M16 magazine and be discarded once the magazine removed, doubling as a safe conduct pass.  A clever way of littering the countryside with safe conduct passes for aspiring VC/NVA defectors.

Thank you for that info. I saw Chieu Hoi and thought it had to do with surrender. But I did not know the bags contained 20 round mags...

Pretty smart idea !!!!

Now you are hooked,. it's going to be short flap (earlier) and long flap, duck and twill. Notice your USMC covers are both 5850 and 5801, you are off to a good start! 

On 12/8/2020 at 2:56 PM, collector said:

Now you are hooked,. it's going to be short flap (earlier) and long flap, duck and twill. Notice your USMC covers are both 5850 and 5801, you are off to a good start! 

Thank you friend. I never really had an interest until the 59 Mitchells.

I guess its that tag on them that says U.S.M.C.

Hey this reminds me, way back in late fall of 1976 when I was a Freshman at Franklin K.Lane HS on the Cypress Hills Brooklyn/Woodhaven Queens Border, I was told about this Army-Navy Store by this Senior Kid I became friends with, he lived in the area of the school right, went there in due couse to check it out right, turns out it was the now renowned  Woodhaven Antiques, owned by Sam Naglieri, the original location on 86th St off Jamaica Avenue, man he had a whole ammo crate full of USMC Leaf Covers with the 50s dates, some unissued, some used in various states etc etc, looking back on it now, seems he separated them from the rest of the Leaf Covers, the 60s and early 70s ones,  which he had a ton of too.

40 minutes ago, patches said:

Hey this reminds me, way back in late fall of 1976 when I was a Freshman at Franklin K.Lane HS on the Cypress Hills Brooklyn/Woodhaven Queens Border, I was told about this Army-Navy Store by this Senior Kid I became friends with, he lived in the area of the school right, went there in due couse to check it out right, turns out it was the now renowned  Woodhaven Antiques, owned by Sam Naglieri, the original location on 86th St off Jamaica Avenue, man he had a whole ammo crate full of USMC Leaf Covers with the 50s dates, some unissued, some used in various states etc etc, looking back on it now, seems he separated them from the rest of the Leaf Covers, the 60s and early 70s ones,  which he had a ton of too.

I remember he had Airborne Cushman Scooters still in their drop containers and Frogskin M42's

Patches... Is that the guy who moved to Vegas who owned that shop ? ? Or his Dad or family owned it

but they closed it and moved and now he sells stuff from Las Vegas ?

Just now, The Rooster said:

Patches... Is that the guy who moved to Vegas who owned that shop ? ? Or his Dad or family owned it

but they closed it and moved and now he sells stuff from Las Vegas ?

Yes that's him, Sam is the original owner when I started to go there in 1976,  after they left NYC for Vegas, and then Texas, the Daughter Suzy took over years later, she says she's the 2nd Generation, so that confitms Sam as the founder of the business.

Sam Naglieri, passed as we know in July 2016 (I think there was a TAPS on him) he was in the Signal Corps and did a Tour in Vietnam in a unit of the 1st Signal Brigade.

124.jpg

BILL THE PATCH
Thanks for the memories, I remember a bin of m-41 field jackets at his place one even had a tank destroyer stencil on the back of one.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I bought a rayon sweatband off of his Daughter a couple months back on ebay.

The family is still sellling Militaria.

I just picked up 2 more 59 covers. Up to 7 now.

I think I'l call a halt at 10. I need an intervention !!!

BILL THE PATCH

Still selling that's cool, can you tell us the eBay name?, I would love to check out there stuff

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Sure can. Here it is

https://www.ebay.com/sch/suzyssurplus-ishkabiblemoney/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Bringing it back to 1959 U.S.M.C. Mitchell covers...

Here are two more.

One on a lid and one off.

gag.jpg

nd.jpg

gg.jpg

ggge.jpg

fghh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice USMC mitchell covers! I always like seeing these because of the tags. I have two of them my collection. Still looking for a helmet to display them.

• 4 weeks later...