Bracelets Made from Wings

Paul S

Thanks for the kind words, Russ. I've spent a lot of time learning the craft over the years, as proficiency in most crafts require. However, I think it's sometimes tougher to tell a good wing from a bad one.

Boy, those are wonderful heirlooms. I think the paratrooper and glider troop badges on bracelets are less frequently seen than the Air Corps (core, not corpse !) wings. Have you got a picture of him in uniform to post along with the bracelets? PS

Thanks PaulS

My Dad has a couple of pics of my grandfather in Paratrooper gear... I will get them and post one here.

I wonder if the wings on my two bracelets were jewlers stock and not actual jump wings? Can anyone tell by the pics?

I would think those jump wings are the real deal, yet could still be an inventory item made up by a jeweler catering to a local training base and its steady stream of trainees looking for something to send home or wear themselves. The engraved information is something you don't often see as I suspect ..it could have been done after the war...it's hard to know; but the engraving looks old.

• 2 months later...

Here's an interesting WWII Victory bracelet celebrating the end of the war. Note the status China and Russia had in this 1945-46 interpretation of world power.

post-3515-1299514356.jpg

Glad this thread is back to the top, been meaning to add this Gemsco Sterling

Pilot Wing Bracelet for a while.

Best, John

post-12439-1299537947.jpg

How about this beauty? Came right out of the woodwork at one of the local flea markets.

What I really like about this is that someone wore this for a long time to get this type of wear on it.

post-1519-1299969376.jpg

Patrick, you're in a great area to find those kinds of things. I don't know if any of the aircraft makers are still in business these days, but after WWII, through the sixties and seventies when I was out there, Douglas, Lockheed, North American, Northrop, Hughes, and I'm sure a ton of others were major employers of those WWII airmen. A lot of ladies were also active as flight instructors at the local airstrips. It was a real hotbed of aviation activity.

• 4 months later...

A recent find from the San Diego area. I think he flew with the 485th, but I'm not sure at present. Interesting little gold applied wing and a "keep 'em flying" inscription.

post-3515-1311307038.jpg

John Cooper
A recent find from the San Diego area. I think he flew with the 485th, but I'm not sure at present. Interesting little gold applied wing and a "keep 'em flying" inscription.

Paul - this is sweet I love the inscription!

Cheers

John

• 1 year later...

Some great bracelets posted here!! I have a well worn bracelet to offer. I have never been able to find any info on this pilot. His name is H. L. Murphy. ASN 0-779548. If anyone can point me in a direction in order to find any info on this pilot, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks for looking.

014-5_zps12e83f94.jpg

022_zps66271cc6.jpg

Some great additions to pauls thread! I gotta say I love the one from "MOM".

Cheers

Thanks John. I've always thought that engraving was kind of sad really considering his fate, but it's honestly also why I've kept it all this time.

JD

AAF_Collection

An interesting picture from the 381st Bomb Group,8th Air Force of a gunner receiving the DFC on September 26,1944,note the pilots wing bracelet he's wearing on his left wrist.

381stBGEMwearingbraceletSept261944.jpg

Matt.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...