Bracelets Made from Wings

Paul S

Here is one I forgot about having. There must be millions of Ruptured Ducks around...I think most of them were thrown in the misc. stuff box and forgotten. Since I think they were only authorized for wear 30-days following a soldier's discharge, it's somewhat surprising to find some of them in 14 K, others in sterling, and then there is this beauty...it's like new. Must have been a real celebration on someone's part.

post-3515-1270778175.jpg

the pins could be worn forever...they were meant for the lapel of civilian suits to show service during WWII. the patches were 30 days, on the uniform

bracelet of Gemsco wings named to a John M Knight, with a service or social number. unfortunately missing the clasp

100_5529.JPG

• 2 months later...

I have around 15 Navy pilot bracelet with wings in my collection.
Here is the latest one:

post-2901-0-63231500-1399995504.jpg

Unusual because it has the full length Navy wings soldered onto it.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a new one for me...

post-227-1282782027.jpg

Nice bracelet, John. Have you noticed that most of the WWII orders are signed by a ranking officer who used the letters, "AC" after his signature, after the organization name had been changed to the Army Air Force? IIRC, the Air Corps name was changed to Army Air Force in the early WWII years. Those signatures show an inertia resisting the change as most of the signing officers almost certainly started their careers as members of the AC.

Paul

Nice bracelet, John. Have you noticed that most of the WWII orders are signed by a ranking officer who used the letters, "AC" after his signature, after the organization name had been changed to the Army Air Force? IIRC, the Air Corps name was changed to Army Air Force in the early WWII years. Those signatures show an inertia resisting the change as most of the signing officers almost certainly started their careers as members of the AC.

Paul

Thanks Paul I knew you would like it. Call it inertia or just tradition... there is a steet in S.F that used to be called Army Street. Many long time San Franciscans still call it Army Street. In my mind it is the same sort of thing. As for the change from AC to AAF I think that was 1941 (off the top of my head)

John

EDIT - I had to look some info up. The U.S. Army Air Corps act of 1926 created the AC from the AS (see this link) The AAF came into being on 6.20.1941 (see this link)

• 3 months later...

Here is a recent pick that has me up a bit. Navigator wings on bracelets are somewhat harder to find than are pilots and air crew. And I'm partial to the cuff type bracelets for no other reason than they, to my mind, suggest a more personal connection to life on a WWII air base...I'm pretty sure they were made in the base sheet metal shops from aluminum scrap, perhaps left over from patching up damaged aircraft. Anyway, this one speaks to me because the wing on it is exactly the same simple GI style wing that my father wore.

post-3515-1292452978.jpg

NIce addition Paul you will have to do a group shot one day :) As for the info on the fabrication I am in agreement with you. You may recall I was lucky enough to find a Balfour L pilot with which came with dogtags and a desk type name with the pilots name and rank. It has an aluminum base with a simple section of aluminum tube which may have been part of the airframe or..?

Cheers

John

John,

Have you posted your Balfour L? I think most of those guys were enlisted pilots...was your guy?

My flocks change as upgrades come available so I don't have a large mass of these bracelets at any one time to photograph. However, I do take pictures of various flocks now and then as I'm about to let some of them fly away. Here are a couple...

post-3515-1292511093.jpg

I found a "project" wing/bracelet in an estate I accquired. Would be curious to know what went in the middle. The wings were cut and rolled under like a watch band. Any ideas?post-19973-1292512715.jpg

I have two winged bracelets.... but the wings seem larger than the other wings that I have in my collection (AE, Robbins etc)

One bracelet was my grandfathers. It has 507 PRCHT on the front and his name/info on the back.

The other has the same type of wings on the front and the info for C. R. Gilbert 541st PIR on the rear.

5267365507_0c3af3f5cb_b.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg by rmw1971, on Flickr

My Grandfathers

5267982880_b6a83e0aa9_b.jpg

IMAG0155 by rmw1971, on Flickr

The rear of the 541st C.R. Gilbert

5267368923_b991aa57c8_b.jpg

IMAG0156 by rmw1971, on Flickr

5267378673_026b8c3f46_b.jpg

IMAG0153 by rmw1971, on Flickr

Boy, those are wonderful heirlooms. I think the paratrooper and glider troop badges on bracelets are less frequently seen than the Air Corps (core, not corpse !) wings. Have you got a picture of him in uniform to post along with the bracelets? PS

Hey Paul S...

Your skill with the camera is impressive! I really like the high resolution and artistic detail in your image of the winged bracelets.

Russ