Opinions on this Soochow Creek '37

Bearmon

I have compared this others on the forum and in the search engines, it looks good to me but I always like to ask, still learning on medals.

shoochow creek 37.jpg

shoochow creek 37 reverse.jpg

FYI...The medal came from the collection of a long-time collector on the east coast.  I have been asked to help liquidate the collection.  I had a couple of others look at the medal before I listed it and they liked it.  They also helped me develop a pricing range for it and some of the other pieces.  I dropped it in the mail to you about an hour ago.  I hope you have it soon.  Frank    

Have my doubts...the 'G' in Shanghai is usually missing the horizontal line on top on these honey pot variants...it was the EGA version that usually had it. Letters on yours also look fatter and shaped differently...particularly the 'W' and the 'E'

Of course, these medals were pressed together from two halves, so it's possible that some were pressed together with both parts...but important to see the side. Without a side shot...I wouldn't buy it

post-22-0-62856800-1351645795.jpg

This April 2009 thread started by bobgee (RIP) from April 2009 has at least two 1937 honeycart examples that I saw with non-serif G and horizontal line on the character.  Has anyone done a survey of all known examples to determine data frequency of the two G variations?  Please post sideview of your nice medal when you get it.  

Soochow.jpg

0D1F5F3F-4F34-444C-9414-A827DE025DDC.jpegBrig the more I am around these the more I think they were cast multiple times using “multiple” dies....sand cast perhaps? There are a number of small variations in each one.... I have a right as rain 37 Honey cart with the G on the back and one that lacks it. You are correct the tell will be in rim, but the legs are another area I focus on...and these appear correctly proportioned.  I think this one is probably good....will look forward to seeing additional photos.

I appreciate all of the responses, I reread the long thread posted (and linked above) on the forum, there are a ton of little differences between medals.

It is a great learning experience.  I am looking forward to getting the medal in hand and doing a comparison to all the pictures posed on the forum.

Keep those comments coming.

7 hours ago, Dirk said:

0D1F5F3F-4F34-444C-9414-A827DE025DDC.jpegBrig the more I am around these the more I think they were cast multiple times using “multiple” dies....sand cast perhaps? There are a number of small variations in each one.... I have a right as rain 37 Honey cart with the G on the back and one that lacks it. You are correct the tell will be in rim, but the legs are another area I focus on...and these appear correctly proportioned.  I think this one is probably good....will look forward to seeing additional photos.

As we've discussed in the past, I also look for details on the head

As far as the "hooked G" variation, just among the medals posted here, there seem to be at least 2 different strikes.   IMO, the top 2 medals appear to be different strikes than the bottom 2.  The top 2 have a somewhat similar engraving style, but I wouldn't go as far as to say likely the same engraver.

Hooked G 1.jpeg

11 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

As far as the "hooked G" variation, just among the medals posted here, there seem to be at least 2 different strikes.   IMO, the top 2 medals appear to be different strikes than the bottom 2.  The top 2 have a somewhat similar engraving style, but I wouldn't go as far as to say likely the same engraver.

Hooked G 1.jpeg

I also noticed the "3" in 1937 is noticeably different on the top left medal, and somewhat different on the bottom left medal  then on the two medals on the right side

Looks to me like Dirk's  medal and the unnamed one that is the subject of this thread are "cast mates".  Be interesting to compare side by side rim images.   Dirk, in case you didn't know,  1 Lt  Joseph M----, Jr.  (1914-1966) is buried at Arlington.   Here's a photo of him and his wife when he was a sergeant major for your site.   And the muster roll from USS Chaumont when he sailed for Shanghai and the 4th Marines on 5/21/37 as a corporal.    His wife Louise died in 2010 at 90.  Which if you obtained your medal sometime after that would jibe nicely.   Sadly, he may have been struggling with PTSD following WW II as he took his life at his home in McLean, VA at age 52 per ancestry death cert.  RIP. 

Montwill Chaumont.jpg

Montwill 2.jpg

On 12/10/2020 at 7:37 PM, Dirk said:

Have you got your Soochow in yet? 

Still waiting, apparently it was moving from PO to PO in Colorado, I have 5 items in the USPS system right now that have not shown movement since the  8th.  

1 minute ago, Bearmon said:

Still waiting, apparently it was moving from PO to PO in Colorado, I have 5 items in the USPS system right now that have not shown movement since the  8th.  

You aren’t the only one, I’ve got quite a few things with no movement 

Brian Dentino
25 minutes ago, Bearmon said:

yeah its getting a little scary

I have some rather "trivial" items also that have not arrived yet although it has been a LONG time since buying them.  I suppose I will just wait, but glad I'm not waiting on anything as cool as a Soochow Creek medal!  Mine can be easily forgotten and written off to whatever it is that is taking the post so darned long to get stuff to the final destination these days!

Glad to help, Dirk.   You've got a cool medal and probably not many out there that have a pic of the Marine to go with them, and a sergeant major in dress blues, no less.