U.S. Navy Mod1 AP MK29 76MM Projectile

Hazynj

I picked these two projectile up today. I haven't had any success during research in finding a photo of this ordnance. I believe production was 1942 based on the markings. The markings in the photos are on the copper rings. There is markings on the bottom but cannot be read due to corrosion. Can anyone help and expand on these projectiles? One of the marks has an anchor and U on the left and S on the right of the anchor.

aa784.jpg

aa778.jpg

aa779.jpg

aa780.jpg

aa782.jpg

aa783.jpg

You have what is called a Navy 3”/50 AP projectiles. Very similar to the Army 3”. The rotating band and brass casing is much different tho. I have one in original colors, the one on the right, black with the yellow nose paint. Cases are fairly common to find, but often confused with the much rarer Army 3” ( OD color to the left inked “3G).

4A12834B-9090-4F73-BCA4-F1DB86E4B036.jpeg

I will add, just for info, your “ windshield “, nose cone, is threaded on whereas the Army 3” is pressed on. I would at the very least remove the loose corrosion and paint it flat black, maybe even paint the yellow nose, white stripe with red dot. Definitely find two 3”/50 cases to stick them in before they dry up. They went to phosphate coated steel cases after the war till the late 1980’s. Good condition ( original colors with ink markings) WW2 specimens bring about $350+.

Very helpful information. I'll try removing some corrosion. Were sitting in an old garage on concrete floor for who knows how many years. I don't plan on keeping and will offer for sale.

I gave both a light cleaning to get dirt & cob webs removed. This 105mm shell casing (no dents) (inner rod) dated 1945 also came w/ the 3"/50.

aa794.jpg

aa795.jpg