A repro for 4000?

collector

Good grief, the ad even says it appears to be a post war reproduction.  Can't really see much in the ad, too small.  But, WOW!, $4000. SKIP

There is a class of collectors who make more money in a week than you or I would in a year.  They would actually lose money if they stopped long enough to research something like this.  They see what they want, buy it, and move on. Sometimes, as in this case, they may not even care if it is vintage...just that it is cool and comes with a story. 

I can no longer remember who I originally heard this from, but it was here on the forum,

"If you can't tell the difference of a reproduction from an original you shouldn't care what you paid for it."

I can only wonder what it might be like for my time to be so valuable I could no longer afford to learn new things.

One of the advantages of being on a budget (avoiding the disadvantages) is that you have to be discriminating in what you obtain.  It makes you research and causes you to buy books so you are educated.  That will help you avoid spending $4,000 on a reproduction.

I purchased this V42 and sheath.  They are 100% correct and in mint condition and an absolute bargain at $4,000.  It was my advantage to be educated on V42's and repros.  It was the auctioneer that was not educated when he listed it as a reproduction.  

BTW, this is a classic example of why it is so important to have excellent reference books.  Two big reasons...to keep you from buying a bad knife and just as importantly, to keep you from overlooking or passing on a great knife.  The CASE V42 certainly ranks as one of the sought after and unique knives of WW2.

One more comment.  I talked to the auctioneer about the V42 after the auction.  He was ready to knock it off to me for $500 when a phone bid came in and bid it up.  BTW, the auctioneer bought copies of my Books One and Two for future reference.

WOW. I just bought Bill's book on M3s and M4s.  Bill's right, you can find some real gems if you know what you're looking at.  I bought an Imperial made (yet sterile) T-10 prototype M5, not because I knew what it was, but because I knew what it wasn't.  Of all the M5/M5A1s that I have seen and read about, this M5 fit no category whatsoever, never had seen anything like it.  I later found an obscure patent drawing in Gary Cunningham's info, and identified it. Paid $36.00 for it.  Education is good.

Marv

Glad Bill chimed in.  I picked up an Imperial M4 in the correct M8A1 BM Co scabbard for $35 off ebay.  Other than some sharpening the bayonet was in excellent condition.

Here's a photo of my $4,000 V42.  It also had the has the ordnance bomb stamping on the pommel, which is rarely seen on the Case V42's.  The ordnance bomb stamping

is commonly seen on Case M3's.

899972367_CaseV4212-6-20.jpg.a98b5d6edca99677acd06d8115a3d1fd.jpg

6 minutes ago, thorin6 said:

Glad Bill chimed in.  I picked up an Imperial M4 in the correct M8A1 BM Co scabbard for $35 off ebay.  Other than some sharpening the bayonet was in excellent condition.

Your Imperial M4 and my V42 are the beauty of the chase.  You never know what you will find.  That's what keeps us all checking Ebay, other internet sites, all the gun/militaria shows and our friends who may turn up something we can't live without.  When you stop looking, that's when you stop finding.