2.95 inch Vickers Mountain Gun

Any help on this is appreciated.

Image is a Real Photo PostCard (RPPC) and shows a gun crew with a small artillery piece-- a mountain gun??

Based on uniforms and flat terrain, I would think that this is the 1916 Punitive Expedition-- corrections to that assumption also appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott

cannon.jpg

cannon1.jpg

Yep-- saw those photos online as well.

Online sources show these were initially acquired by the US Army in 1899 for use in the Philippines (12/20/30 depending on the source).  Most sources show that the US Army acquired another 120 in 1904.

Some were still in the US inventory until WW2.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to robin for posting my photos.  #11 is the one I was thinking had part of the recoil captured, but old age crept in.  I will add that: " American Breechloading Mobile Artillery" by Williford records- "The gun had a vicious recoil, and photographs show it jumping wildly in the air upon firing".  The second photo is written on the back: Boac Marinduque Is., P.I.  and Maxim-Nordenfeldt firing shrapnel at "Apitorig".  The close up of the wheel was included because I have been told that in the WW2 C.B.I. campaign that the 2.95 V.  wooden spoke wheels were used on the pack artillery, instead of the issued rubber-tired steel wheels because the wood ones weighted slightly less and that was important for air transport. I have a pair of 2.95 wheels that I would like to display with my friends pack gun to see if this is true.

illinigander  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Could the inscription on the back of the photo labeled Apitorig be either Alitop or Alapaap?  both were Philippine officers at battles in Marinduque.

After some checking, the word is Apitong, a small barangay just outside of Boac town proper.  It is also close to the Church in Boac where the troops were stationed.  I cant find any mention of the gun being used in any of my action reports but it would seem the proper piece to have given the hilly terrain in Marinduque. 

I did find -in War Department, Annual Reports of the War Department for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 1900, vol. 1, pt. 4 (Washington: GPO,
1901), 446 - On 25 April 1900, two navy gunboats and a transport hove to off Laylay, Boac's maritime terminus. On board were Colonel Edward E. Hardin and a battalion of the 29th U.S.
Volunteer (USV) Infantry. Hardin landed two companies and proceeded to Boac, where the few townsfolk who had not fled cautiously received him. After setting up quarters in Boac's
citadel-like church, Hardin sent his men on two reconnaissance marches, both of which were performed without incident. With the island apparently tranquil, Hardin left one
company (A/29) and a Maxim-Nordenfelt machine gun at Boac and sailed off to occupy several other islands.

With your permission I would like to include this photo on my website and of course I would annotate it came from you.   http://ulongbeach.com/Marinduque_at_War.html

Thanks,  Curt

Certainly Curt, information is made to share.   In GI talk, I think the little mountain gun was commonly call the 2.95" Vickers.  This is about the time this all became one company.  For your information the back of the photo has: Boac, Marinduque Is. P.I. stamped, and then written in ink; Firing shapurl (sic) at "Apitong".

Regards, Ken