2021 SHOW-OF-SHOWS HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED (July 22-24)

Shenkursk

The 2021 Show-of-Shows has been RESCHEDULED for July 22-24.

Here is the most critical information you need to know:

1. The new show dates will be Thursday through Saturday, July 22-24, 2021 (with dealer drop-off on Wednesday, July 21, and pack-up on Sunday, July 25).

2. If you have reserved tables they will be automatically rolled over to the new date.  You will not need to fill out any additional forms.  We will be mailing your table acknowledgements in about two weeks from now. 

3.  If you have not yet reserved your tables, fill out a form immediately and return it to the OVMS office.  DO NOT send payment yet as you will be on the waiting list.  We will let you know when we have a table for you.

4.  We are working with the Crown Plaza Hotel concerning room reservations in the OVMS block.  We will let you know as soon as we have any information for you.  If you have reserved rooms at other hotels, you should call them right away to move your reservation.  This also goes for airline reservations.

5.  The deadline for program ads is now June 1, 2021.

We understand that our members need as much advance notice as possible, so this information is going out to you within hours of finalizing these arrangements with KEC.  We also understand that while some of our members will be disappointed and / or inconvenienced by this move, others will be excited about doing the show in nicer weather.  It is much more likely that vaccines and therapeutics will be widely distributed by then, and thus better for the health and welfare of our members. Hopefully, there will also be fewer Corona virus restrictions at that time and international travel is much more likely to be available.  Trust in this; rescheduling the SOS was not our first choice.  It was, however, the one thing that we could do to reasonably ensure that the Show-of-Shows would take place in 2021.  Better to reschedule the SOS than not to hold it at all!

More importantly, we did not want to risk the type of last-minute forced cancellations that wrecked the Tulsa Show (cancelled less than 4 days before opening) and the Chantilly show (cancelled TWO HOURS before dealer setup.)  The OVMS is fully aware that this type of last-minute cancellation would be a financial disaster for all of our participants.  By moving to July, we have hopefully avoided those risks.

This is the basic information that we have for you right now.  We will be sending out additional information as we know it.  Please watch for updates on the OVMS website, in your email or regular mail, on the OVMS Facebook page, and on the major militaria collector’s forums.  We know how important the SOS is to all of you and we will do everything possible to keep you up-to-date.

On behalf of the officers and directors of the OVMS, stay safe and healthy.  We look forward to seeing you at the SOS in July!!

Bill Combs – OVMS Business Manager

2kids_2021c.jpg

To say I am bummed is an understatement. Because of Covid, I was staying in the U.S. longer and was actually going to be able to attend. After missing last year for the first time in over a decade, I was thrilled. Irony being what irony is, we are scheduled to head back overseas in early July, about 10 days before the show. *sigh*... *Big Sigh*... *BIGGER SIGH* 

For those of us with February reservations at the Crown Plaza. Wonder if they will just roll them to the July dates or have to rebook???

2 hours ago, usmcdoc67 said:

For those of us with February reservations at the Crown Plaza. Wonder if they will just roll them to the July dates or have to rebook???

I would contact them and not assume that the SOS is the only thing going on that week. Those hotels fill quickly enough during conventions now add the summer into this mix with other things going on at the KEC and the State Fair grounds next door. 

2 hours ago, usmcdoc67 said:

Bill is working with the Crown Plaza to make an easy transition for people.. look for an update here early next week.  I am also attempting to untangle a situation at Residence Inn, where they have an anomalous rate for the new weekend (not an unusual thing for this particular hotel at that location.)  Every other property seems to be quite 'normal' on the new weekend.

Kurt Barickman
21 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

Congrats Kurt!  See you there! (I'll buy you an ice cream!)

Thanks Jerry, but ice cream? I thought you knew me better than that.

Kurt

10 hours ago, matmil said:

Perhaps a permanent move to a July date ?

Likely not, but we shall see.  If it moved permanently, it would not be on this end of July date that we have this time, as that conflicts with the Missouri Valley Arms show in KC.  Professional courtesy requires deconfliction.  Unfortunately deconfliction was not an option this time - it was a case of jump in the one available lifeboat, or go down with the ship.  

• 1 month later...

Nothing posted on OVMS web site, however, I spoke with the Crown Plaza this AM. Everybody that was booked in the OVMS block have been moved to the July date. That being said, might be advisable to contact them and get a conformation sent. Just CYA. I did!!! 

• 3 months later...

Out of curiosity, I've always wanted to go, but we don't do interstate/freeway/big streets driving (Mom drives. I navigate. Yes, I'm old enough to drive; I just don't.) If we were coming from the Cincinnati direction, crossing into Kentucky via the Madison-Milton Bridge, and traveling the river road KY42, just how complicated would it be to get to the SOS and avoid major highways and the like? We've never been to Louisville.

40 minutes ago, CDWells said:

Out of curiosity, I've always wanted to go, but we don't do interstate/freeway/big streets driving (Mom drives. I navigate. Yes, I'm old enough to drive; I just don't.) If we were coming from the Cincinnati direction, crossing into Kentucky via the Madison-Milton Bridge, and traveling the river road KY42, just how complicated would it be to get to the SOS and avoid major highways and the like? We've never been to Louisville.

Google is your friend... try a map search using your location and then the designation. By enlarging the map(s)  you may be able to determine the routes. 

We'll pick 42 up off 421 at Bedford. It's the in town driving. Mom hates driving in Muncie and my sister has lived there since '89. Louisville is way bigger. Anything near the downtown is out. Looks like we'd swing south and come in from Audubon Park area. It's about 86 miles for us.