USAAF Cockpit Cushion

Sprocket1962

Hello All - I am new to USMF and would like some information on what looks like the back cushion of a WW2 aircraft cockpit. Can anyone tell me about this item? The front says "U.S. Army Airforces and the back is stamped "Part No. AN7501" "No. W535-AC-31383" and "8-1-43" Thanks, Sprocket.

Cushion1.jpg

Cushion2.jpg

This would have been attached to the inside back of a bucket seat in any number of aircraft.  In a lot of a/c the pilots would have worn a back or seat parachute that fit the cavity in the seat.  When a parachute wasn't necessarily warranted these were hooked in so you had some sort of padding.  There would have been a corresponding yellow seat cushion for use as well.  

Pilot's seat photo taken from google. 

2020-12-03_11-08-48.jpg.c34f06b26d626e291f2fac4bc50c362d.jpg

Thanks AustinO ... I figured this was from the back (hooks would keep it from slipping). I'm guessing this would've been from a training aircraft ... maybe Texan? Googling the p/n and model didn't help me at all. 

Would you know if there's any market for this item? My Dad (pilot in Korean War) had this in the attic and it might have well been his! I have no use for it and would like to sell it if there's any value to it.

Thanks, Sprocket.

Hello. Why not go to members bio and tell us about yourself.

The "What's it Worth" forum is a more appropriate place for this last question for members in good standing. Generally, the forun doesn't encourage "evaluating" items for the public. There are members here that do this official sort of thing for a fee.

hello dmar, since i'm new to the forum, i'll go to the 'what its worth.' again, i'm trying to wend my way thru this new site and am bumbling about so forgive me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Sprocket1962,

just saw your post on the WW2 seat cushion. 

If you still have it and would consider selling it I’d pay good money. 

I need the cushion for my P-51 Mustang seat. 

Thanks,

David Nock