ARVN Camo from 2nd Field Force Veteran

Cpl. Punishment

Cpl. Punishment

Hello all,

I have been trying to add more Vietnam bringbacks and fatigues to my collection, and I was recently able to purchase this mint unissued set of ARVN BDQ camo fatigues from the veteran who brought them home. 

I will withhold the veteran’s name for privacy sake. However, this man served in HQ and HQ Battery 2nd Field Force Artillery, mainly stationed on what he called the plantation compound, just outside of Bien Hoa. He told me that the munitions dump in Long Binh was visible from where he was. He was rear echelon, and many of those around him were officers, according to him, nobody paid any attention to you unless you were at least a colonel because there were that many officers. He was often the driver for a colonel who was in charge of HQ, and drove him in a jeep, often to Saigon. He recalled this as a comical experience just taking a road trip in a war zone in a jeep. 

He was drafted out of grad school in 1969, and spent 14 months in Vietnam (he took a 2 month extension) from September 1969 to mid November 1970. 

While he was there, a Vietnamese barber had a place near their barracks on base. The barber would often sell things to the GI’s to make some money. One day in July or August according to the veteran, the barber saw the veteran in focus, and told him he had just what he needed, and he’d make him a good deal. The barber was selling this set of unissued ARVN camo fatigues. The veteran bought them thinking they were cool, and that he would use it to trade later on. He put them away, and brought them home, unworn. 

Fast forward 50 years, I purchased the set of fatigues directly from the veteran for a fair price, I told him I would rather him get the money than a retailer. 

The fatigues are mint, and the middle button on the shirt still has 2 threads stitched to the shirt from the button to the buttonhole, where the shirt has never been worn. They are a large size, and appear to fit your average sized GI. The pants are 69 dated and the shirt is 70 dated. 

I cropped the photo of the veteran holding the fatigues for privacy. 

I hope you all enjoy! Nothing like getting artifacts right from the veteran!

B914D420-5361-46D8-9164-C3EE4AA86279.jpeg

393F8EC0-2344-471E-A41D-11ADB418DA86.jpeg

8DF36736-BCE0-4588-B7B6-0666C8AA10F3.jpeg

2F545777-4E76-42F3-A5F9-EAC9FD8A9738.jpeg