Engineer Auxiliary Military Police Patch

rtd_sf_eng

This is one of those patches that represent two branches of the Army; Corps of Engineers and the Military Police  or Auxiliary Military Police.  It appears to be from the WWII period or post WWII.  Any ideas??

Eng Aux MP-F.jpg

Eng Aux MP-R.jpg

I recently picked up one just like this but with MP Pistols.  

My conjecture is this was worn by uniformed civilian guards at an Engineer Depot somewhere in the USA during WWII. 

Vance is on the right track.

It would hard to nail it down.

From US Army Fort Leonard Wood:

During World War II, U.S. Army troops served in every theater of operation. The continental United States was designated as the American Theater of Operations and was commonly referred to as the Zone of Interior (ZI). The War Department specified the formation of over fifty ZI military police battalions – which were augmented by the Auxiliary Military Police. Comprised of civilian personnel, the Auxiliary Military Police was trained and supervised by the Military Police Corps and by the end of the war, numbered over 250,000.

Phill

Your SSI was from a civilian guard who worked at a depot, plant or some sort of facility that came 

under control of the Engineer Corps.  Civilian guards who worked at military, government, depots

and/or defense related production plants were assigned as Auxiliary Military Police and  placed under

military control.  Auxiliary MPs did not wear military uniforms or military insignia.  Zone of the interior

is the part of the theater of war not included in the theater of operations.  In other words, away from

the combat zone in a secure area.  I hope this clarifies things??