Identify Marking on WW2 Canteen cover 413

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

A friend won this canteen and cover in part of a local auction (Northern California). I know it isn't a UNIS marking. She thinks it's for a NG unit out of Oregon.  Any other info that might be determined to help her ID? 

Canteen deb.jpg

easterneagle87

Ok, clarification. Due to the other common items that were part of the auction, other canteens and covers, entrenchining tools, .38 wooden ammo box, it all looked like run of the mill army surplus stuff. The cover in question has markings in yellow. The reference to UNIS markings was just a ref, UNIS has that half moon thing with the numbers inside. I didn't say it was a Marine  cover, although I haven't  touched the items to look for any manufacturer's stamps. My friend did limited research using her phone and just looked up the bottom number as she thought it would an army unit. Just to see if I could help her out, I posted a picture of the markings to see if anyone has seen or have info on them. The top number (I think) is too big for a laundry number.

She also said two of the canteens were marked Japan, which I told her were aftermarket, but she said she looked them up and they were legit. I don't think so, but hard to tell friends when they're not collectors and their mind is set. I hope to see all of this stuff this week. 

Any input on the markings would be appreciative.

Hey Eagle, I think Cap referred to it being a USMC cover, because it is.

I can’t quite see the fasteners, but it looks like glove snaps, which would make it a first pattern cover.

Those are relatively valuable in their own right.  

On the topic of UNIS, there were several other geometric shapes besides the semi-circle (4th MARDIV).  That said, I think this is indeed a UNIS number for the 4th Marine Division (devoid of the semi-circle) and represents a Marine from B Co., 1st Battalion, 24th Marines (B-1-24).  

I would also suspect that the six-digit number is his MCSN, which could easily be confirmed.

I’ve seen that exact yellow paint on other WWII USMC gear.

That is a killer canteen cover.  

Definitely a Marine Corps first-issue M1941 Cover...great score!!

I have a few Marine Canteen Covers with yellow paint stencils on them as well.

• 2 weeks later...
easterneagle87

Got the canteen in hand. Swanson 1944. Glove snaps. One marking I can't make out that is on the back of the web belt at the loop, not the hook.  

IMG_3753.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3765.JPG

IMG_3766.JPG

The serial number 279210 would have been issued to an enlisted Marine in the period of 1936 to 1941. 

The stamp on the belt is the maker's mark for NASCO AWNINGS.