AAF Ship Identification Slides

ww2vault

Hi,

I recently purchased this large lot of around 260 slides that were made by the Army Air Force which all depict different ships. There are ships from the U.S., England, France, and Japan. Most of them are actual photos of the ship while some are concept drawings. To bad I don't have a slide projector to play these on! pinch.gif

- Jeff

post-1090-1232805382.jpg

Whoa...

I'm just trying to imagine myself in pilot training, looking at 260 slides of ships I might be seeing down below one day, and hoping to recall what I saw in the slides. :blink:

Whoa...

I'm just trying to imagine myself in pilot training, looking at 260 slides of ships I might be seeing down below one day, and hoping to recall what I saw in the slides. :blink:

Bluehawk,

My neighbor was a B-26 pilot and I was allowed to read the letters that he wrote home to his mother. In one of his letters, he describes the use of slides for aircraft identification. If I recall correctly, to pass the course, they less than one second per slide to identify the aircraft. I belive the actual identification time was 1/20 of a second.

Hi,

I recently purchased this large lot of around 260 slides that were made by the Army Air Force which all depict different ships. There are ships from the U.S., England, France, and Japan. Most of them are actual photos of the ship while some are concept drawings. To bad I don't have a slide projector to play these on! pinch.gif

- Jeff

Jeff,

Do you have a scanner that will scan slides? Scan in to your computer, then view them through the slideshow setting.

A unique find for sure! Definately look at having photos made of them for preservation. Those photos could be unpublished for all you know.

-Ski

Cool! I've got some slides of Japanese aircraft, but only a dozen or so. Let me know if you find a scanner that works well for printing these things.

Bluehawk,

My neighbor was a B-26 pilot and I was allowed to read the letters that he wrote home to his mother. In one of his letters, he describes the use of slides for aircraft identification. If I recall correctly, to pass the course, they less than one second per slide to identify the aircraft. I belive the actual identification time was 1/20 of a second.

crying.gif ... gulp...

Well, if one is traveling 200 mph 3000 feet in the air, it would behoove one to have a very clear idea of what one was about to strafe or drop something explosive on top of... but, 260 is a LOT of pictures to remember, by any standard.

My hat goes off to those guys... nice set you've got here Beast; it opens up a whole world to my appreciation of their training.