Question about Korean-era Burlap helmet covers

stratasfan

Hi, All! I am trying to figure out what the shape of the burlap piece of a burlap helmet cover would be? I'd like to make one, and have burlap . . . and somewhere I saw someone mention how to cut a cover out of burlap, but I have searched and searched and can't find it. So, has anyone got a burlap cover they removed or do remove and can take a picture and measurements of, or possibly know what it is like off the helmet? Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth

Just cut a rough piece big enough and fold it inside so the liner clamps it in place. You can add a band cut from a truck inner tube. These things were often made in the field from old sandbags and won't be a perfect fit compared to factory-made covers. No need to overthink it :)

I made one and it was a pain. Suggestions I heard later that would have helped are, 1 use a helmet band to keep the cover in place while you figure out how to fold the creases to make flat burlap fit a dome, and 2 getting the burlap wet helps.

Once it covers the shell, trim off the excess leaving enough to tuck between the shell and liner. 

My thread: 

Thanks! I'm going to give this a shot! I remember somewhere reading a thread where it said or linked to someone who had made one and it told you to cut something like a 30" or 36" square and then round certain corners and add two slits, etc. Then you soaked the entire thing, put it on your helmet and let it dry in the sun and it would fit your helmet to a t after that. But, I wouldn't go by only my memory, that's for sure! Memory like a sieve!

35 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Thanks! I'm going to give this a shot! I remember somewhere reading a thread where it said or linked to someone who had made one and it told you to cut something like a 30" or 36" square and then round certain corners and add two slits, etc. Then you soaked the entire thing, put it on your helmet and let it dry in the sun and it would fit your helmet to a t after that. But, I wouldn't go by only my memory, that's for sure! Memory like a sieve!

Essentially correct but, most originals that I've see were about 30" and square, no rounded corners. Also, I have not seen slits other than where the chinstrap loops are located. As for soaking it before installing and then letting it dry, this does help alot with getting a nice fit and is something that kinda happened naturally for soldiers as the enjoyed the monsoons in Korea.