WW1 USMC Good Conduct Medal Question

Dave

All:

Looking for some WW1 USMC Good Conduct Medal expertise. I have the following document in a service record and my question involves the number to the left of the EGA, following the "No" prefix. 

Would this number be the number of his Good Conduct Medal (e.g. the one that was stamped on the rim)? Or would it have signified something else, such as a service number or service document (like the Navy's CSC book)?

I'll admit my knowledge of early USMC Good Conducts is exceptionally limited, so your advice and thoughts are appreciated. 

Thanks!

Dave

Screenshot_41.jpg

Dave,

That would be the number stamped on the rim of the medal. 

Rim numbered Marine Corps Good Conduct Medals were issued right after World War I. They were supposed to only have been issued to Marines who enlisted for the duration of the war, I'm sure there were a few exceptions. To receive one of these Good Conduct Medals there was no specified time period only that the Marine's character of service be excellent. These medals were impressed with "No." prefixed numbers between 20,000 and 70,000. There are examples were the number was engraved rather than impressed. They were issued in white cardboard boxes with the medal number on the box lid.

Is the number No. 57653?  Any idea what the Marine's name was?  I do love those certificates.

Bruce