US NAVY 1 Pounder Shell

ram957

I recently acquired this Pre WWI US NAVY 1 Pounder. The projectile separates from the shell, and the shell is empty. The primer is still intact. The drive band on the projectile is not marred. Should I be concerned about the black powder still being in the projectile ??? 

E828B449-EBA0-41E4-B8E1-FAF53C5C0223.jpeg

33802F5C-228C-4FCE-B431-A7952937B6C9.jpeg

B3757D51-1B73-4C25-AA0A-6EE240A57CD4.jpeg

5486DA62-8465-4811-A671-6CC2E68B9D76.jpeg

5B801542-63BA-432D-B3F0-CFF93450F801.jpeg

EmperorWangDong

I dont suppose the fuze unscrews easily? If not I would personally leave it alone and not sweat it too much but that is just my personal opinion.

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

I'd be concerned about both but more concerned about the primer than the black powder. Think about 45acp small arms ammo from WWI.  That stuff will still fire.  So will this.

EmperorWangDong
3 minutes ago, ram957 said:

Looks a bit rusted...

72E58252-55BF-46FB-AB86-4FE5067E2733.jpeg

Wish I had a weight for you for a full projectile and an empty one, but I do not. That would probably be the easiest way to put this to bed. Hopefully whoever dumped the shell powder also got rid of the powder in the projectile. With it being rusted I wouldn't mess with it - looks like its been fine for 105 years so far.

1 hour ago, EmperorWangDong said:

Wish I had a weight for you for a full projectile and an empty one, but I do not. That would probably be the easiest way to put this to bed. Hopefully whoever dumped the shell powder also got rid of the powder in the projectile. With it being rusted I wouldn't mess with it - looks like its been fine for 105 years so far.

I’m gonna test your math skills...

My projectile weighs 1.07 lbs

the attached photo has the weights of the components ...I’m not great at math but I do believe there is no charge in the projectile...what do you think

BC99BA9D-E300-45BE-B7CB-13B53EC086B9.jpeg

• 5 months later...
frijoles108

Hi, to confirm what everyone had said already, but to back it up for certainty, this projectile is actually a practice firing projectile that would have been filled with sand. I have one myself. My source is Robert mellanchamps A gun for all nations 37mm. I probably botched the author's name, but just so you guys know Im not just tossing out baseless info. Its just a steel plug in the base of this example.