Why are USMC covers so expensive? (And other questions)

Seagle07

Hello everyone. 

I was planning to spend my money on an original USMC cover, but it seems though the price tag for these are over $400. Why are they so expensive? 

On that note, what type of helmet nets were used in the Pacific? I've seen Army Infantry wear bands around their helmets in the Philippines- could anyone explain that? I've included a photo of that below.

Hoping to see some helpful input!

PhilPacific.jpg

Don’t know about the nets. The cammo covers are a product of supply and demand. Not many of the real ones left out there and they are in high demand on the collector market. Here is a thread recently that reflected one that sold for a grand not long ago.

While collectors think that is outrageous, (and I agree), I personally think these will definitely be going up on the future and not down. Just my opinion, they make a very iconic display representing Marines in the pacific theater. Hard to have a nice well rounded collection of WWII Marine material without a representative example of one of these. 

Also many of the WWII made USMC covers were re-issued and EGA marked for use in the Korean war era, the the WWII made ones were a finite amount that was made even smaller through continued use into the 1960s.  As mentioned they are so unique and iconic to the Marines, so you get a high collector demand, and a very limited supply. "Supply and demand" now, where have I heard that somewhere before? My advice- buy one now, and be thankful you did.  People thought I was nuts when I was buying them at $250 each not that long ago.

USMC items from any era have always commanded a premium. A multitude of circumstances contribute to the scarcity of the availability of this cover in original WWII condition. When one pops up for sale or auction there are many collectors ready and willing to put in their maximum bid.

The neoprene band was an issue item to U.S. forces in the pacific theater.

The two most common nets seen in pacific related photographs are the large square nets cut down from vehicle camouflage netting and the "commando net" as seen in the movie Kelley's Heroes. The Commando net will not be found easily or cheap. A cut down vehicle net is far more common and reasonable in cost.

Hope this helps :)

30 minutes ago, Pepper said:

USMC items from any era have always commanded a premium. A multitude of circumstances contribute to the scarcity of the availability of this cover in original WWII condition. When one pops up for sale or auction there are many collectors ready and willing to put in their maximum bid.

The neoprene band was an issue item to U.S. forces in the pacific theater.

The two most common nets seen in pacific related photographs are the large square nets cut down from vehicle camouflage netting and the "commando net" as seen in the movie Kelley's Heroes. The Commando net will not be found easily or cheap. A cut down vehicle net is far more common and reasonable in cost.

Hope this helps :)

good explanations there Pepper, 

don’t forget hand made nets also but they are uncommon . Here is a helmet with 2inch net and burlap used very very early on. 
And here is my original burlap 

also to add is a hand tied net with accompanying picture in use in the pacific 

yours

Dean 

also check out my marine display in displays, I think you will Enjoy the variations of Helmets and web gear 

FBBE6D54-7393-4E23-8968-039140EAB371.jpeg

307526B2-8889-4107-B2A9-6C5BCDD8702E.jpeg

DB157F80-C7C1-4AEC-955F-00987729B737.jpeg

78D2F237-EAA1-4192-85A4-95388485EC09.jpeg

4632AE5A-7648-4C5F-B7DE-E400AC439731.jpeg

DC57B552-869B-4BF3-A6C3-39D2B1E39CAD.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Scottz63 said:

I would like to see some pics of these, real ones from you as well. Are they posted here somewhere?

There is ample discussion of these covers here on the forum. If you do a search, you will likely find numerous threads on these. Some of these have great detail on what you want to look for to assure you get an original. As already mentioned, stay away from any stenciled with an ega on the front if you want one to represent WWII period.....unless you get one direct from a vet that applied it personally ( extremely rare!). There are also very interesting posts that discuss whether the first pattern was actually first issued or second pattern came out first,  This is a very  interesting discussion with an examination of period photos to determine if slits in the cover are visible, etc. you will spend half a day educating yourself on that point alone. 

I have two covers in my collection, both mint a first pattern and a second pattern. Both are displayed on minty helmets. I have one brown side out and the other green side out and they are eye catching, even in a room stuffed with Marine gear and uniforms. I too felt crazy paying $150 many years ago for each one of these. I am out of town for the holiday break, and don’t have photos,  but once again, lots of threads will detail the info you are seeking. I made the mistake of buying a very good reproduction my first go around a long time  ago, but  fortunately the lesson only cost me about $75 way back then. It is important to do your homework. After 33 years of collecting, an original named helmet with cover combat used still eludes me. It is always good to have “wants” I guess. Good luck. Kevin

6 minutes ago, Scottz63 said:

Awesome! Thanks for the info, links, and pics guys. Much appreciated!

A lot to learn on these things.

Scott

enjoy the journey 

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your input, it was really interesting reading through the comments.

After scouring the web for reference photos on M1 helmet nets, I recently found a soldier in the 25th division using the M1944 net and band, which is really interesting as they are rarely encountered in the PTO. 

How often were newer items given to the troops in the Pacific? I am yet to find a soldier with OD7 straps.

PhilPacific2.jpg

On 11/28/2020 at 3:17 PM, ArchangelDM said:

good explanations there Pepper, 

don’t forget hand made nets also but they are uncommon . Here is a helmet with 2inch net and burlap used very very early on. 
And here is my original burlap 

also to add is a hand tied net with accompanying picture in use in the pacific 

yours

Dean 

also check out my marine display in displays, I think you will Enjoy the variations of Helmets and web gear 

FBBE6D54-7393-4E23-8968-039140EAB371.jpeg

307526B2-8889-4107-B2A9-6C5BCDD8702E.jpeg

DB157F80-C7C1-4AEC-955F-00987729B737.jpeg

78D2F237-EAA1-4192-85A4-95388485EC09.jpeg

4632AE5A-7648-4C5F-B7DE-E400AC439731.jpeg

DC57B552-869B-4BF3-A6C3-39D2B1E39CAD.jpeg

I am interested in buying a burlap camo for my M1, where am I able to find one?

2 hours ago, Seagle07 said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=burlap+camo&_blrs=spell_check

On 12/1/2020 at 7:42 PM, The Rooster said:

I have a quick question:

Were earlier M1 helmet liners (say, early produced Westinghouse liner with unpainted A-washers) be re-issued with later-produced M1 helmets? I imagine this would also take place because they would take off fixed bales off of M1 helmets and reissue them with swivel bales. Would re-issuing WW2 liners during the period of WW2 happen?

If you are offered one be very skeptical of it and the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, kammo-man said:

If you are offered one be very skeptical of it and the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think rule of thumb with any items you buy for your collection whether it be helmets, uniforms, medals etc is always try to have it in hand, buy from people with a return policy, and ask the forum for help. Also have lots of reading material from knowledgeable authors on the subject. 

Being on the side of caution these days when the price of helmets is going through the roof is solid Advice from Owen. I would even go as far as always have a loop or portable microscope available to inspect what your buying. 2nd part to that would be knowing what to look for and that comes with time and hard lessons. 

Good luck on your hunt for a USMC cover,  I look forward to offering advice and help on the subject should you ever need it 

- Dean