Field made M2 MG mounted on small trailer?

Old Marine

This photo popped up in an image search.  Is this real?  Do any of you ordnance guys recognize this as a legitimate, or experimental pice of

US gear?  Is this just a one off, field made thing that some clever GIs made?  Or, is it just a photoshopped fantasy?

With all the photoshopping, manipulation and colorization of digital photos, some times it hard to tell if the photo you are looking at is authentic.

Whatever it is, it’s kinda cool looking. If it’s a GI field made thing, can any of you guys recognize any or the parts, the trailer frame, wheels, and what they may have been taken from?

6895DA91-C655-4C81-9ED4-A123AEF1829A.jpeg

Thats a great picture Dennis. Thanks for posting.

That GI is carrying a german pistol it appears. The gun cart is a work of GI ingenuity. Wonder if its german as well or built from german parts.The wheels and rims dont look US.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:18 PM, Old Marine said:

This photo popped up in an image search.  Is this real?  Do any of you ordnance guys recognize this as a legitimate, or experimental pice of

US gear?  Is this just a one off, field made thing that some clever GIs made?  Or, is it just a photoshopped fantasy?

With all the photoshopping, manipulation and colorization of digital photos, some times it hard to tell if the photo you are looking at is authentic.

Whatever it is, it’s kinda cool looking. If it’s a GI field made thing, can any of you guys recognize any or the parts, the trailer frame, wheels, and what they may have been taken from?

6895DA91-C655-4C81-9ED4-A123AEF1829A.jpeg

That is really interesting, and if it’s Photoshopped, it’s really well done.

Either way, maybe your next fun modeling challenge?

If anybody can do it, you can, Dennis.

I wonder if some ordnance unit made that thing... short trail, not super heavily made, shield does not seem to go up very high, and it looks like slots that the ammo cans seem to fit right into? Cool picture.

Am I seeing things, or does it look like a cross piece was built on to it and that the T&E for the gun is attached to it and the gun?

Got a link to the pic by chance?

Having fed a good number of belts to a “Ma Deuce”, and they are hungry ladies, I can tell you sights are there solely for theater.  Alternate ball with tracers, and just ‘walk’ to the target.  

Slow and low, but gets there with bad intentions...

3 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

That is really interesting, and if it’s Photoshopped, it’s really well done.

Either way, maybe your next fun modeling challenge?

If anybody can do it, you can, Dennis.

Agree.. Denis could whip up a winter build in no time.

Just me but I think I would want a taller front armor shield.. 😉

Frame doest look as stout as the PAK 36 but had thought of that or the US 37.mm towed AT gun. Not as much armor either unless taken off to lighten up the carriage assembly. Just not US wheels or like the 37mm carriage. Maybe just GI ingenuity at its finest.

When it comes to GI ingenuity, nothing would surprise me.  

Not to hijack your thread Dennis, but here is a go-kart I saw at a vehicle show in Louisville in 2014.

As I recall, it was made primarily of Japanese airplane parts.  I am sure others have seen this. 

25EFD2F6-D21B-4F99-8026-DEB113DCE0AD.jpeg

3 hours ago, Old Marine said:

Is that go kart something the GIs cobbled together?  It’s really pretty cool. 

It is Sir.  I don’t remember all of the details, but the owner had a photo album (the maroon book on the seat) that I believe included war-time photos of it in theatre, maybe even it crated up coming to the states (?), and pictures of when he picked it up.  

Here are some more pics:

375E210E-6CDE-400C-93AE-EFD1953D7175.jpeg

4E0364AA-030E-4106-868E-A898B810C6DC.jpeg

EFB6DC58-C6CE-41DC-B34B-D367D5E68FCB.jpeg

6 hours ago, Scottz63 said:

That's really cool! I would love to drive it. :)

Hi Scott - I totally agree.  One of the things that I noticed was the seeming lack of brakes of any kind.  Ahhhh, to be young again.

7 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Hi Scott - I totally agree.  One of the things that I noticed was the seeming lack of brakes of any kind.  Ahhhh, to be young again.

I would drive it anyways. Lol! I do see rear brake lines on it though, on the pic with the close up of the tank.

1 hour ago, Scottz63 said:

I would drive it anyways. Lol! I do see rear brake lines on it though, on the pic with the close up of the tank.

I suspected that was a fuel line, due to the filter, but either way I am sure it was a hoot.

I believe the motor was from a Japanese drone / target plane.

And straight pipes - BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!

I bet it was a hoot! Imagine zooming around in that thing.

You can see the brake line in top of the rear end housing. Two steel lines going to each rear brake with the rubber line running up the left side of the frame to the front. The brake master cylinders on those frames sits underneath near the driver. I suspect the rod with the yellow handle is for the brake as that is where the master cylinder sits. Fun!