Navy's New Surface Warfare Officer Black Leather Jacket

Dave

I just received my leather "SWO jacket" today and thought I'd share it with the collecting community. From a google search, I see these are already being reproduced for the civilian market. These are a controlled item - I had to sign for mine today, and part of that was the warning that improper disposal of the jacket (e.g. selling it) was punishable under the UCMJ - so there shouldn't be any real ones available on the open market - at least not at this point in time. They've been available since June 2020 to flag officers and high-level staffers, and since October for O-6s, and now November for O-5s. O-4s and below are required to wait until after the new year to receive theirs. 

Anyway, my first impression is that it's a very high-quality jacket, and almost identical to the aviator's jacket, with the notable exception of the collar (faux fur vs plain leather). Regulations also prohibit sewing patches on the jacket other than the name patch, which has a velcro pad, as it is meant to be changed out when moving to a new command, promotion, etc. (There are some enterprising companies that are now making black leather name badges, as can be seen in one of the below photos.) Due to the heavy construction, it seems like it will take just about forever to get this "worn in"...and given that my current command doesn't wear uniforms that allow for the use of this jacket, I'll probably get more wear out of it post-retirement than while on active duty. :D

There's been quite a bit of debate over these jackets, and more than a good bit of ribbing from our aviator counterparts (my command is heavy on aviators, with my admiral being a former Blue Angel), but as far as being a jacket is concerned, it's a pretty nice one. With that prelude, enjoy the photos!

SWO_jacket_.jpg

SWO_jacket__1.jpg

SWO_jacket__2.jpg

SWO_jacket__3.jpg

SWO_jacket__4.jpg

SWO_jacket__5.jpg

I'll also note the "USN" in the zipper flap, a nice touch, matching the aviator's jackets. Interestingly, the flap is two-piece and both sides are separately punched with "USN". I haven't owned a naval aviator jacket for so long I can't remember if that's the way it is with them or not. Also of note are the false buttons on the pockets, and velcro closures. 

SWO_jacket__7.jpg

SWO_jacket__8.jpg

SWO_jacket__9.jpg

SWO_jacket__10.jpg

SWO_jacket__11.jpg

SWO_jacket__12.jpg

SWO_jacket__13.jpg

SWO_jacket__14.jpg

SWO_jacket__15.jpg

SWO_jacket__16.jpg

Nice looking jacket. Looks brown in the photos. 

I like it a lot, the collar looks great. I am glad you guys got a nice jacket!!

Can’t put patches on the jacket???  That is so black-shoe Navy😳😂😂

Chris

12 minutes ago, hink441 said:

Nice looking jacket. Looks brown in the photos. 

My lighting was sub-par...best I had at the time. My wife and kids were wondering why I still had the tags on it...I had to explain to them that "collectors need to know about this new stuff too!" :D

Very cool- like how you slipped in that the O4s don’t get theirs until later- even late promotions have privileges!  

When would one get to wear this?  

• 1 year later...

When I was a SWO on a Knox class, in the 1980s, I took orders from officers and chiefs onboard, and bought 12 jackets directly from brill bros, who was the G-1 manufacturer at that time.  We used them as our SWO jackets