Steel pot helmet pics for a buddy.

M1Garandy

I don't know anything about USGI steel pots, but a buddy is asking for identification and information about one he's got. 

The liner looks to have a Firestone logo in it, but that's about all I know.

What can you tell us about the helmet in these pics? Helmet Pics

Thanks, 

Both shells look like rear seam swivel bales (RS/SB), late WW2 production. Heat lot stamp numbers won't tell you much, they are both rear seam and therefore late war (1944-45). Any original shell with sewn on khaki straps is WW2, swivel bales being later than fixed bales. Next came sewn on OD green straps, then green painted buckled-on straps, then black buckled-on straps in Vietnam, and finally angled clip-on straps at the end.

I can't comment on the model or originality of the USMC camo cover, but I think the slits make it a later one. Does it have USMC insignia on the front?

The one liner has a glossy 5th Army parade finish but is a WW2 Firestone. The other liner might be late WW2 or Korea, can't tell the actual color of the webbing on my screen. Is there a grommet hole in the front?

Here's my handy chart for dating liners.

Liner dating chart.jpg

Pics are updated. Helmet cover is marked with maker markings and an EGA. One helmet liner looks to have a grommet the other does not.

The liner without the grommet in the front is a P55 (1955-1963) model. That would jive with the USMC cover being used in the 1950s. Shell straps weren't updated but that's not uncommon, i.e. "If they ain't broke, don't fix them".

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
10 hours ago, MattS said:

Both shells look like rear seam swivel bales (RS/SB), late WW2 production. Heat lot stamp numbers won't tell you much, they are both rear seam and therefore late war (1944-45). Any original shell with sewn on khaki straps is WW2, swivel bales being later than fixed bales. Next came sewn on OD green straps, then green painted buckled-on straps, then black buckled-on straps in Vietnam, and finally angled clip-on straps at the end.

I can't comment on the model or originality of the USMC camo cover, but I think the slits make it a later one. Does it have USMC insignia on the front?

The one liner has a glossy 5th Army parade finish but is a WW2 Firestone. The other liner might be late WW2 or Korea, can't tell the actual color of the webbing on my screen. Is there a grommet hole in the front?

Here's my handy chart for dating liners.

Liner dating chart.jpg

Great straight-forward flowchart, I'd like to make one amendment, the removable suspension was introduced in 1972, and there was a single odd 1974 contract without removable suspension 

On 11/25/2020 at 9:29 PM, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

Great straight-forward flowchart, I'd like to make one amendment, the removable suspension was introduced in 1972, and there was a single odd 1974 contract without removable suspension 

That's true as M1C liners never had the removable suspension. 

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Before he takes these to the next gunshow with a $10 price tag on them, any thoughts on what they might be worth?

Thanks.