Springfield Krag Model 1898 Rifle?

jmd62

Hey Guys,

A friend is selling this rifle left to her by her father. The serial number is from 1900 and besides the photos, that’s all I have for now. Any ballpark price ideas? I realize there are details left out like it’s bore condition foe example.

Thanks!

James

2966FF50-6F26-49DF-AFE8-BC8B0D399A8A.jpeg

11151C54-0357-47CA-BC39-A0BFED20902D.jpeg

81C0B2B8-C043-46AD-AD31-74F2CE9AF1C8.jpeg

90FE72F6-AC05-4332-91C1-120C34C3B83E.jpeg

4A0FE01A-262B-4BDD-B338-53923BB950B1.jpeg

AC212D8C-CAEC-49CC-A268-523280B15B90.jpeg

D46EAB82-24FF-4F38-86B8-2B6CB464A9B1.jpeg

E30E1A45-6A11-4D23-96E7-F2037C170030.jpeg

7D7F7408-A582-4C93-B23D-E50AE33CFD8F.jpeg

5F26598B-9367-4813-95A8-A17C9CB04AC5.jpeg

916BDA57-43D1-47CF-833F-661373E5D08D.jpeg

It has been sporterized by cutting down the fore end.  This knocks down the value considerably.  I’ve seen similar ones go in the $225-350 range.  

1 hour ago, Doctorofwar said:

It has been sporterized by cutting down the fore end.  This knocks down the value considerably.  I’ve seen similar ones go in the $225-350 range.  

Just curious; Would it be worth the trouble and expence to replace the existing modified stock with a factory issued version, provided

an original stock could be located?

An original unaltered stock on the loose would be tough to find.  You would also need the front band and likely some other small parts. If restored, it will always be a restored gun- it would be hard to match the patina of whatever replacement stock you may be able to find to the existing stock furniture/condition of the metal.

Many also had the barrel shortened a few inches and the front sight reattached or replaced- I can’t tell in the pictures if this was done as well as the stock being cut.  If you were able to find an original replacement it would increase the value, however probably not much more (if at all) than the value of the gun ‘as is’ plus whatever you would have to spend on the replacement stock, parts and/or bbl.  A rifle that “looks right” fills a spot in a collection better than a sporterized one, which primarily has value as a parts gun, casual shooter or curiosity piece.  This one appears to be “lightly” sporterized by trimming the fore end, and possibly trimming the barrel- some I’ve seen are real butcher jobs.

I have restored one sporterized carbine (a SMLE No. 5) and sold another one (an Arisaka Type 44) partially completed after giving up on finding all the parts after a few years (and I had another similar severely sporterized gun- a Type 38 to cannibalize some small parts for it).

This restorations were for my own collection so I wasn’t trying to increase value for resale. 

You might try Dunlap Woodcraft (http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/military-stocks) - they offer high-quality reproduction stocks for military rifles.  The rifle would never have the value of an all-original one but it could make a great shooter.  You could also talk to them about just getting a new fore-end to splice into the existing stock.  I personally think it is worth restoring to original condition.

This is assuming the wood and front band are the only alterations.  If the barrel has been shortened it's probably not worth messing with.

Unless it could be purchased quite cheaply and the bore is mint and the barrel is uncut, finding and buying a stock is a losing proposition. 

Sadly, original rifles are constantly being parted out on eBay and an original full length rifle stock is likely going to cost $400+.

Complete, original '98 Krags are still around in the $7-800 range. 

Repro stocks are out there too, but they are not cheap either. 

2 hours ago, M1Garandy said:

Unless it could be purchased quite cheaply and the bore is mint and the barrel is uncut, finding and buying a stock is a losing proposition. 

Sadly, original rifles are constantly being parted out on eBay and an original full length rifle stock is likely going to cost $400+.

Complete, original '98 Krags are still around in the $7-800 range. 

Repro stocks are out there too, but they are not cheap either. 

Thank you much gentlemen.

You are welcome. It can certainly be done but you either have to be EXTREMELY patient, or operate like money is no object. 

Restoring sporters is generally, but not always a money loser. That said, it pays to buy things like GI stocks and parts and keep them for months, years or decades until you find that cheap sporter you can save because you already have all the missing parts and you bought them right. Then you can end up with items worth hundreds that you only have tens into or worth thousands that you only have hundreds into.

I have a number of hard to find parts put up, some that I've had for 10-12 years or longer just waiting for the right items to apply them to at the right price.

These 30-40 Springfield Krag–Jørgensen rifles are fun to shoot but the do kick like a mule!! LOL Just leave it like it is an have fun shooting it. Like Doctorofwar was saying it would very hard to find an original stock for these.

59 minutes ago, Scottz63 said:

There is a nice stock on ebay right now. $360.77 shipped though.

Boy, not a bad price at all if it's in good shape! I would jump on that!