New Commando & Question

BryanJ

I just picked this up today and though I’d post photos and get feedback.  The SN is 7953 with an R under the number.  Any idea what the R represents?  The USA stamp in front of the trigger guard puzzles me.  Why would it be stamped USA when its country of origin would be known?  Anyone recognize the stamp on bottom of grip?  Should I get an authentication letter from Colt?

D2DD62EF-5DD9-4E44-8985-8C6DF808245E.jpeg

2C2E002C-B518-446E-A74F-91FD51BC0E0F.jpeg

25C1602A-116C-4B0F-967B-75CB3E711036.jpeg

100C7D69-DE62-4C21-9076-8B38051BF31F.jpeg

The "R" is who assembled the revolver at Colt. The "USA" I have never seen before. The "R&H 8" is some company or unit that it was marked by. A letter would probably tell you a lot and is needed IMHO. 

Nice Commando by the way!

Charlie Flick

Thanks for the compliment, GAP, but I don't know what the story is on this Commando with any degree of certainty. 

My expectation is that the Colt factory letter will reveal that this revolver shipped to a defense contractor authorized to purchase firearms by the Defense Supplies Corporation.  That company was the "R & H" company referenced on the butt.  The 8 would likely signify the 8th weapon in the inventory.

The "R" marking is a Colt factory assembler's marking and is of little significance.

The "USA", rather crudely marked on the underside of the frame, is a puzzler.  I have to say that I have never before seen such a marking on a Colt Commando.   My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the marking was applied post-factory and was intended to demonstrate the ownership of the weapon by the US Government, and not necessarily the US military.   It is effectively the same as a U.S. PROPERTY marking.   Some defense plants received small arms for security purposes during the war which were paid for and owned by the Government.  An example would be the GOCO (Government owned Contractor operated) ammunition plants.  All of the equipment for the plant was Government owned but was used by whatever contractor was operating the plant.  When most of those plants were closed at the end of the War the plants' small arms were returned to Government control.  I speculate that the USA marking involved here was simply an attempt to insure that there was no confusion about who owned the weapon.

I hope that when the factory letter is received BrianJ will post it here so that we can all learn more about this little mystery.

Regards,

Charlie

Will definitely post the letter when it is received.  Just looking at the USA stamp, it appears that the finish is on top of the stamp, which if true, would suggestion that the stamp was made before it was parkerized.  Someone more experienced might want to take another look at that photo and see if you agree.  If true, not sure what if anything that would imply.  Either way, the Colt is going to the range tomorrow.  

It shot really well, very smooth action, and more accurate than the operator.  I shot with my brother and his son at my brother’s range in rural North Florida.  Missing was my son who departed Florida for DC with my grand daughter.  They are both collectors and we always take a variety of collectibles when we shoot, today it was a variety of 4” revolvers, a couple of 2”s, a few 1911’s and one Sig.  My brother was surprised I offered up the Commando to shoot rather than put up.  I’ll probably only shoot it one more time with my son, then it will be retired until he inherits it one day.  Looking forward to getting the letter back from Colt on the Commando, which I’ll post here.  Greatly appreciate the info from you guys on the Colt.

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

As I offered up on the Colt Forum about this particular Commando, "R & H" in all probability, is Rohm & Haas, a very important defense contractor during WWII, producing PLEXIGLAS for aircraft windshields, etc.

I appreciate the input about Rohm & Hass.  I’d never heard of the company, but read the article and thought it was very interesting.  Of course, everyone who gets a Commando and sends off for a letter, hopes that it comes back OSS.  Clearly, that is not meant to be for this Commando, but it’s a great gun, in great shape.  It will not be my last Commando!  I will definitely post the letter when it comes back from Colt.