Fake USMC frogskin cover???

Heptonic48

FT.Monmouth1943

Definitely not an original cover. The cut is off, the colors are off, no sawtooth stitching on the beach side, and of course the infamous pac-man in the pattern. Either the seller is bidding it up, or someone is going to learn an expensive lesson.

- Jakob

Its the same seller who sold this one last week...

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/350042-ww2-usmc-camo-cover-sold-for-nice-dollar-on-epay/

What about this cover screams fake ?

Because it has the same pattern as this P44 Jacket and trousers...

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/349231-wwii-usmc-frogskin-camo-uniform-coat-and-trousers/&tab=comments#comment-2791465

And, on the beach side in this pic, is that not sawtooth stitching ?

And this same seller just sold one last week for 900 so what is fake about this one ?

s-l500.jpg

IMG_9899.JPG.e8f6e1adb62cdce0963cb40ba26324aa.JPG

I'm no expert on USMC covers but from my knowledge the stitching is wrong (at least on the beach side) and it's got the infamous "pacman". There are other issues but those are two of the glaring issues.

17 hours ago, FT.Monmouth1943 said:

Definitely not an original cover. The cut is off, the colors are off, no sawtooth stitching on the beach side, and of course the infamous pac-man in the pattern. Either the seller is bidding it up, or someone is going to learn an expensive lesson.

- Jakob

I won't make any claims about the seller's actions, but looking at the bidders on this cover and the original one that sold not too long ago are interesting. Many of the same bidders. Could be people with more money than knowledge or people buying based on the seller's reputation but I find it interesting that there are a handful of heavy bidders that have bid on both items.

I dont know and I dont have any skin in this game. Im trying to learn something with this....

I'm just a bit perplexed because this pattern is the same pattern in the jacket above, which if you read the thread, everyone agrees its authentic. Its the same pattern on this cover and although the beach side stitiching is a longer saw tooth than some, it appears to still be saw tooth stitching.

I spent a while looking at the pattern in the coat and pants on the linked thread and it looks like the same pattern on the cover.

Unless Im missing some detail in the pattern ?

s-l500.jpg

9 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

I'm just a bit perplexed because this pattern is the same pattern in the jacket above, which if you read the thread, everyone agrees its authentic. Its the same pattern on this cover and although the beach side stitiching is a longer saw tooth than some, it appears to still be saw tooth stitching.

I spent a while looking at the pattern in the coat and pants on the linked thread and it looks like the same pattern on the cover.

Two people in this thread have mentioned pac man and the beach side edge stitching.  I'm sure there are multiple threads on both of those topics here.

50 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

I dont know and I dont have any skin in this game. Im trying to learn something with this....

s-l500.jpg

Hey Dave 

closed box stitching on the beach side makes this as fake as a 9 Bob note mate. 

It’s hideous and anyone seriously thinking of getting into marine corps should seriously study the forum and the topics here on these covers, there are lots. 

This is a poor copy of the original 

- Dean 

Hey I really see it now. Especially as compared to the one he sold the week before for 900. That looks way different than this one. He has

to know what he is selling is fake ??? Thats pretty low down to take someone for hundreds like he's doing.

Whats a fake one really worth ? Five bucks ?

1 hour ago, The Rooster said:

Hey I really see it now. Especially as compared to the one he sold the week before for 900. That looks way different than this one. He has

to know what he is selling is fake ??? Thats pretty low down to take someone for hundreds like he's doing.

Whats a fake one really worth ? Five bucks ?

I believe this is a SM Wholesale cover which retails for $49.00 on their site. 

https://www.smwholesaleusa.com/shop-us/wwii-usmc-helmet-cover

11 hours ago, The Rooster said:

What about this cover screams fake ?

Because it has the same pattern as this P44 Jacket and trousers...

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/349231-wwii-usmc-frogskin-camo-uniform-coat-and-trousers/&tab=comments#comment-2791465

And, on the beach side in this pic, is that not sawtooth stitching ?

And this same seller just sold one last week for 900 so what is fake about this one ?

s-l500.jpg

No background color between the dark patterns on the fake cover.

$698.00.  Oh Man !!!!! 

I feel bad for someone....

Glad its not me, and thanks for the education here.

Covers have been out of my wheel house prior to Mitchells.

this guy is the infamous gray blanket. he sells shady stuff all of the time go to gunboards and search grey blanket. some feel what he does is not wrong others have said they tell him stuff is wrong he will say thank you and that is it. other say it is ok because people should know what they buy. some say people are jellous because he always get premium for his stuff.

to answer what is different between the shirt and the cover? the cover has no separation of color.

fake cover 1.jpg

fake cover 2.jpg

fake cover 3.jpg

fake cover 4.jpg

fake cover 5.jpg

fake cover 6.jpg

fake cover 7.jpg

SouthShore 8754

I tend to disagree with the separation of color myth. Just look for the chain stitching on the beach side, the saw tooth edging on the beach side and the shape of the pacmen .Also, the color of the brown on the beach side is pretty telling as is the brown on the jungle side. I’ll post some photos below of an authentic cover and pair of p42’s. The colors on them are not separated in some parts.