2 Jump wings found, but the Heller?

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Found these two jump wings. Both sterling. Both labeled as WW2, I have my doubts. Would like your input;

1.  Jack Heller, from the limited research I was able to do, Not the stand out hallmark you normally see. 

2. Solid backed wings. Could be WW2, but a lot of wings were made after the war. 

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

Your Heller wing is an original and is the way you would want them to look. My understanding of Heller is that he served in WWII and then started a business after discharge. Exactly when he started the business, I don't know. I have always assumed these were of the era.

Your second, solid back wing also appears to be a WWII vintage wing. MOST of the pin back sterling examples that you will find will be WWII vintage. The clutch back wings tend to be post war as they were the preferred method for affixing insignia to the uniform. The clutch prongs allowed the insignia to sit flush against the fabric. Pin back insignia didn't always sit flush. 

I've told this story about a dozen times here on the forum, so I apologize in advance for repeating myself. I know for a fact that pin back sterling parachute badges were still being issued as graduation wings at Fort Benning as late as 1967. These were WWII vintage wings. It seems that the government bought insignia in HUGE quantities during the war and it took them decades to use up existing stocks. 

Allan

Thanks for sharing! Very cool wings, and I would have been puzzled at those flat backs, too! Can't say I've ever run across Heller, either.

Allan . . . that is so interesting about the WWII-era wings being issued so late. I had not heard that! I knew about the PHs bought for the invasion of Japan being issued past Vietnam. Thanks for sharing the story! How interesting! 

I will add to Allans excellent comment.

A local veteran served with the 11th Airborne and later in Vietnam in 65-66. He spoke of obtaining pin back wings from the 11th supply room in the late 50s when assigned to them. He retired in 1969 or 70 as a Major and said that he saw WW2 pin back wings (sterling)still available at the PX in Fort Benning at that time. Also stated that there were non sterling wings seen as well that were pin backs.

How interesting! I'm going to have to file this info away for future use! Now . . . clutchback wings were issued as graduation wings during WWII, correct? 

Were pin back wings only WWII-era make?

About the original posted Heller wings . . . are all Heller wings post-WWII then? If he started his company after service?

Elizabeth,

The clutch back wings that we collectors refer to as "graduation wings" were just that- the wings issued to the airmen upon graduating from their various schools. The clutch back wing was ordered by the AAF in 1943 and specified that the wing could not have a maker's mark on them. 

To my knowledge, graduates of the parachute school only received pin back jump wings. Clutch back examples of WWII parachute wings do exist, but they were rather scarce. Today, many post war made wings are represented as "WWII" so that they might sell a little better. I would be quite comfortable calling the second wing in this thread a "graduation wing," though it could have been purchased in the PX as well.

Allan