Partially Exploded Parrott Shell. What Do You Think?

I found this today and just thought it was too cool not to buy.  The side was blown out and can see some lead balls inside.  There are cracks around the sides.  I can't find other examples like this one.  Lots of complete shells and lots of chunks.  Opinions?  Want other images?  Just ask.  Thanks for the help.   

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

I never knew they were packed with iron balls. Like a form of grape shot !! Man!!! Thats a nasty thing to be on the receiving end !!

So, looks like it just exploded enough to blow out the side and crack the body and then sat buried for a long time.

Any story behind it ? AWESOME !!!!

The balls inside are not iron.  These are lead.  The only story I got was it was found in Yorktown.   He didn't know when or where it was found.  It may have been found by a farmer.  The wood cradle that was made for the shell looks like it has a bit of age too.      

IMG_1431.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

If nobody mentioned it, the correct name is case shot.  As can be seen a sulfur matrix kept the the shot in place till explosion.  Perhaps the shell had a casting flaw?

illinigander 

dhcoleterracina

Great shell, look closely at the bottom though, do you see a point where it was on a lathe? Should be in the center. If so I think it's a Read and CS made. Regardless, very cool.