Pre WWII Navy Special Winter Clothing Blue Facemask

Bob Hudson

I've had these around for a while but was never quite sure about their history. There are no labels and the couple I found online were said  to be for aviation use.  

Today I found the answer right here on the forum, in a 2009 post: the 1941 Navy Uniform Regulations ID's these as "Face Mask Special Winter Clothing" 

2.jpg

2a.jpg

2c.jpg

Here's a photo of one of these face masks being worn with the pre-WWII Navy blue "deck jacket," which was also considered part of the Special Winter Clothing (the one in the photo has a zipper but they later made one with buckles to close the wind flap. Either style has sold for thousands).

2b.jpg

I have two of these masks: they differ slightly, one having two buttons on the back flap, the other having two snaps. The colors are different too.

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 9 months later...

I have one of these but it is tan outer with brown buttons, it appears unused; there are no lebls nor stamps either:

IMG_6556.JPG.1b85afd28596a5d90c66a566acc0afb8.JPG

I had always thought it was British but as I was taking photographs to post it on the World Militaria Forum I noticed the buttons and the mark on the strap rivet:

IMG_6558.JPG.452ceba085faaff3fb93b2382df567af.JPGIMG_6559.JPG.1ea2edd3cc31b152ae44599c77d1c431.JPG

Realising it is not British but rather United States made I found this post above showing the USN type, the one I have appears the same pattern except for the outer colour and the buttons. The inside looks the same:IMG_6557.JPG.cf7b92db55971512da9ca359a046db0a.JPG

I thought I would post it here as it fits with the original post, I apoligise if this should be in another section of the site.

The Navy stopped making the blue Special Winter Clothing and went to light brown early in the war, reportedly because the blue gear looked too much like German uniform colors. 

9 hours ago, Bob Hudson said:

The Navy stopped making the blue Special Winter Clothing and went to light brown early in the war, reportedly because the blue gear looked too much like German uniform colors. 

I’ve heard this, but believe the other story more. That the Navy switched to the OD because the textile industry basically said they just could not produce OD for the other services and then take the time to switch to blue for the Navy. I also not aware of any common German WW2 uniforms that were dark blue. It’s much like the myth that the USN dropped the ships name from the cap ribbons of the dress blue caps for security reasons. It was an exercise in logistics. New ships coming on line,fast. Ships being lost, the cap wasn’t that much worn by then, so just go with one, generic  ribbon. Pretty hard to hide a carrier, tied up to a pier 

3 hours ago, themick said:

Note to self:  Never get into an elevator with someone wearing one of those.

Steve

We still use them. A ship I was on went north of the Arctic Circle from January to March. We were issued these (I was a Signalman, so always topside). Simply awful things. Yeah, they cut the wind some, but your breath makes them wet, so, ice forms around the breathing holes and eye holes if you’re not wearing goggles