vietnam issue jungle fatigues

m151mp

october 11th of 1970, the 199th light infantry brigade left bien hoa on a C141. those of us picked to retire the colors at ft benning had each been issued three new sets of jungle fatigues and bush hats, along with boots. command didn't want us arriving in benning looking like we had actually done anything. we had to be all shined up and pressed. it was a long trip, bien hoa to yokota, to travis afb, to ft hood and finally to the airfield at benning. we were kind of wrinkled, but they set about getting us processed pretty quick. some were getting out, but i was being sent on to ft ord after the ceremonies. so i got stateside issue, and stuffed it all into my duffle bag. there wasn't much room left, but i did jam in one of those brand new sets of jungles, all done up with in country patches. they had never been worn even once. now here we are, 50 years later, and that set is still in the closet, brand new. it has never been worn to this day. frankly, i don't know why i kept it all these years. i wasn't a career soldier, i was a draftee. i have a picture of them somewhere, and if i can figure out how to do it, i will add a post later on that shows them, in case anyone wants to see them.

Very nice. I have a couple jackets all badged out from a vet I knew. Also his dress uniform and M65. He went on to be assigned to the Old Guard when he returned from VN.