WW2 US Army Air Corp B-13 Officer's Jacket 9th USAAF

P-59A

I have heard the B-13 wasn't used much and when it was it was in the Pacific. This Brig General in the 9th USAAF is clearly has one on. I always thought they were more walking around coats rather than flying coats.

16302506896_89b75bd663_b.jpg

16326691501_a4f8460428_b.jpg

This is that quote, I was a little off on the details.  

"07-31-2012, 03:22 AM

Hi there!

The fews pics I've seen of B13 or 14s 'in action', owned to some guys of 422 NFS mounted on P61 Black Widow... Seems to me that those jacket never encounter the taste of airman's that prefer tailored ike jackets.

Cheers!"

1 minute ago, dmar836 said:

Nice one.

BTW, what is W-A? Ive seen it referenced several times lately.

Dave

I believe it is going to be Wehrmacht Awards, another forum.

Thanks for the explanation. I have a few German items and other stuff I was thinking of listing for trade for AAF stuff but the "trade" forum doesn't appear to be too popular.

That is a beautiful B-13.

I love that it is an 8th AF.

I have a B-14 that is sporting the 8th AF patch.

Who knows maybe someday I'll run across an 8th AF B-13 and I'll be forced to buy it to make a set!!!

That is a Great looking display P59A!!

Semper Fi

Phil

This is a photo of my late father, a C-47 pilot in the A.T.C., stationed at Bovingdon England from July 1944-September 1945. He was issued his B-13 while there, but since it was considered flight clothing, he had to turn it in when he left the service in early 1946. I still have the bullion patch and other insignia, as well as his Bancroft Flighter seen here.

Dad.jpg

On 11/22/2020 at 4:14 AM, P-59A said:

I have heard the B-13 wasn't used much and when it was it was in the Pacific. This Brig General in the 9th USAAF is clearly has one on. I always thought they were more walking around coats rather than flying coats.

16302506896_89b75bd663_b.jpg

16326691501_a4f8460428_b.jpg

Bob Lee in your first photo is not wearing a B-13, rather a British made officer's Ike jacket. Note the plastic buttons down the front and the lack of chest pocket flaps.