Help with M1 helmet find

HardWay

First: I am an M1 helmet rookie. I have learned a lot from reading posts here and other references, but this is the first shell I've ever bought, and I know there is a lot I still need to learn.

I recently picked this up from a local surplus store. When I found it, it was covered with some netting from I-don't-know-where, held in place by a modern style helmet band with cat eyes. The paint color looks to me more like Vietnam era or possibly Korea (but let me reiterate that I am a rookie at this) and the texture is definitely sand, rather than cork. I think the chin strap is Vietnam or later (I've seen and read references that should tell me, but my brain has been befuddled and I can't remember half of what I've learned.) Finally, there is "SP" stenciled/sprayed onto the very top, and I don't have a clue what that could mean.

Anyway, I took a close look at it and saw that it had a front seam, so I immediately figured it to be WWII vintage. Since I've been wanting to dive into this M1 helmet thing, and the price was right enough, I bought it with the hope that I could confirm my thoughts and/or learn more.

I tried to uncover the heat stamp (which took some patience because I think there must be 12 coats of paint on this thing) and all I could pull out was "128" -- if there's more to it, I can't see it. The weld spots on the seam look to me as being more round than oval, which makes me think it's a Schleuter, however I don't see any trace of an "S" anywhere near the heat stamp. So I'm not sure if this a Schleuter, McCord, or other.

My thinking is that it was an M1 produced during WWII and then afterward went back into the pile, refurbished & reissued at least a couple of  times before it ended up in a dark corner of a dusty, musty surplus store...but I know enough to know there is a lot I don't know, so I'm always hoping for education.

I've attached a few of photos, hoping that you can confirm or correct my thoughts about this helmet. (The color is actually a little more lime-ish than the pics show.)

Thanks for looking and any input you have.

3033a4deb2b4d6da70deb862c24e3753.jpg76ab114738997a74c6cbb013d1d638ce.jpg0a0e913baf2f606463339a2864cdda72.jpg5cb389e1754df293c9e292c7f235a68c.jpg52e7985c17c6e02bff723f8cde32312f.jpg2fd437939f61b61ca17317e11808fc49.jpg93d362dc7e981bcf8af4546bf51f3e28.jpg

47 minutes ago, HardWay said:

I tried to uncover the heat stamp (which took some patience because I think there must be 12 coats of paint on this thing) and all I could pull out was "128" -- if there's more to it, I can't see it. The weld spots on the seam look to me as being more round than oval, which makes me think it's a Schleuter, however I don't see any trace of an "S" anywhere near the heat stamp. So I'm not sure if this a Schleuter, McCord, or other.

Don't ever try to uncover lot numbers.

Welp...I did on this one, but I will take your advice.

Anyone with any ideas about what that SP on the top might be? I can't imagine Shore Patrol or Security Police would be stenciled on the crown.

Agree on trying to uncover what stamps, not worth destroying the originality. I date shells by their current configuration and not when it was originally made. In other words, this is probably a 1945 shell but with 1960-73 black buckle on straps. 
Speaking of straps, here’s a quick note on how they are attached and the dates of each. 

Sewn on khaki - WW2

Sewn on OD7 dark green - late WW2/Korea

Green painted buckles - Korea 1953 thru 1960

Black painted buckles - 1960-73 (Vietnam)

Angled clip on straps - 1973-90 

• 1 month later...

I believe this is a Schleuter. The weld spots is rounded and the 1 in the heat stamp (128) has a line under. Mccord does not have that.

Schleuter ones are "1" with a "_" under . Mccord uses "1".

On 11/21/2020 at 10:57 PM, aef1917 said:

Don't ever try to uncover lot numbers.

Agreed or you will learn the hardway