Cleaning and restoring Double-buckle boots

HardWay

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum, and my apologies if I screwed up. I mostly lurk & learn, and have only posted a couple of times, but have a question now that I hope you can help with. (I've searched and browsed though dozens of posts because I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the information I'm looking for; if someone wants to just point me to a thread rather than waste time repeating themselves, I won't be offended.)

I have my Dad's double buckle boots; they've been tucked away in his old duffle bag for I don't know how many years, and I'm hoping to rescue & restore them. I think they are actually in pretty good shape overall, but they have quite a bit of mold and the leather on the lower shoe part is starting to get a little dry (altnough there is no cracking.) The uppers are in good shape but feel like they might be drying a bit (although the tongue is as soft and supple as new.) They also have some paint drops on the toe box area -- Dad apparently used them around the house after he got home.

So I'm asking for advice on:

1.) How best to clean the mold off;

2.) If and how the paint drops might be removed or just reduced); and

3.) How best to treat & maintain the leather after removing the mold.

I will try to attach a couple of pics if that would be helpful (or just interesting.)

I appreciate any help or guidance you can give.

7f96f7a9be3ae98caa7be333d8ae1a72.jpg5c4a6cb5d6606dc81ad05e5106a4067a.jpgf6f75c646a0a7f5bfe47a60b28ee1c45.jpg66ab9c8bce07359329f10a171c7bd2da.jpg

I'd go over it with a brush and use saddle soap to clean the leather, but you need to be careful since it can take off the finish if your too rough. You can also use vinegar and baking soda to take off the mold. Also the boots need leather conditioner. I'd use Bick 4 since I found it doesn't change the color and darken the leather like other conditioners and it doesn't have any wax.

I'd go over it with a brush and use saddle soap to clean the leather, but you need to be careful since it can take off the finish if your too rough. You can also use vinegar and baking soda to take off the mold. Also the boots need leather conditioner. I'd use Bick 4 since I found it doesn't change the color and darken the leather like other conditioners and it doesn't have any wax.
I have the same issue.
Do you mean this one?df71dfa2954f161eaf2c6309df542570.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, cagedfalcon said:

I have the same issue.
Do you mean this one?df71dfa2954f161eaf2c6309df542570.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes sir, that's the one

I've found it on Amazon already; thanks for the tip.

Some of the paint drops are thick enough that I can actually scrape a little off with my fingernail. If I can manage to do that (though not with my fingernail) and avoid actually scraping the leather, I guess I'll have to be content with that. They were Dad's boots, and those are his paint stains -- so I get to keep that part of him too, rather than have "perfect" anonymous boots. [emoji846]

4 hours ago, HardWay said:

I've found it on Amazon already; thanks for the tip.

Some of the paint drops are thick enough that I can actually scrape a little off with my fingernail. If I can manage to do that (though not with my fingernail) and avoid actually scraping the leather, I guess I'll have to be content with that. They were Dad's boots, and those are his paint stains -- so I get to keep that part of him too, rather than have "perfect" anonymous boots. emoji846.png

Also apply a little bit in a small area first to see how how the leather reacts