Watch out! Fake Indian Wars medals!

MMcollector

Clinton,

I saw these also and am amazed that people would bid without doing 2 minutes of comparing these medals with photos of genuine medals.

Indian Wars M.No. medals recently sold for significant increases over past auctions. Possibly this is attracting the fakers.

Mike

Well at least on the first one he stated in his auction: "This is possibly a very early reproduction. Unauthenticated."

The second one is being sold as an original.

What is disturbing is that the seller knows that it is fake and didn't bother to describe it as such.  Here is the tread where the seller asked about it on this forum and was told that the medal was a fake.  However, despite that, he went and listed it on eBay and didn't bother to label it as such after stating that he would "throw it in the garbage."  Is this fraud on his behalf or buyer beware?    

www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344487-indian-wars-no770-campaign-medal/&tab=comments#comment-2763145

I think “buyer beware” is a convenient catch-phrase used to justify deceiving someone.

If you know something is bad, and you don’t disclose it, you are screwing somebody with intent - and it will come back to you.  

There are no ‘gray areas’ on this, in my opinion.  You are honest, or you aren’t.  I had a boss many years ago, that said, “If you’ll lie on the little stuff, you can’t be trusted on the big stuff”, and that is so true.  There are no “little white lies”; there is the truth, then everything else.

And not exposing fraudsters is only marginally better, as you’re quasi-complicit at that point.  It’s what has gutted this hobby, and largely why prices are plunging.

That’s what cheeses me off when guys post tear-stained topics about getting ripped off on a fake / humped item, but won’t name the source.  

Sorry, strong opinions on this matter.

1 hour ago, Frank_Smith said:

What is disturbing is that the seller knows that it is fake and didn't bother to describe it as such.  Here is the tread where the seller asked about it on this forum and was told that the medal was a fake.  However, despite that, he went and listed it on eBay and didn't bother to label it as such after stating that he would "throw it in the garbage."  Is this fraud on his behalf or buyer beware?    

www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344487-indian-wars-no770-campaign-medal/&tab=comments#comment-2763145

So the seller was warned this is a fake and is a forum member and says he's "tossing it in the garbage" but listed it anyway? That's not cool.