Navy 3” 50 cal. shell

hink441

I have had this shell for awhile now and am trying to figure out the age. This is a steel shell and has “2-57” on the bottom. My question is; is this the date of the shell? I always thought the steel shells came a little bit later than 2-57.

5A77CDAC-4044-4D1F-90CF-614ED67953E4.jpeg

BCC9F0C8-946C-4400-8D5B-ED8D8AAC0A40.jpeg

FB8B69FA-E611-47B5-9A94-878BD63DC8B0.jpeg

Steel was being starting to be used in late WW2, (Norris patented it)covered in brown lacquer. Phosphate finish like yours was late fifties and later. Now this, the CRA inking “82B....” means Crane, Feb 1982 loading. The “ MK number” also seems like a later series number ( I would have to check Navy Data sheets). Not uncommon to see manufactured surplus cases stored and loaded 20 years later. Also true with Army cases, I talked to a 105 howitzer red leg and he said his guard unit in the early 90’s had 105 cases headstamped from 1945. 

I did not clearly tie it all together. Your steel case was manufactured in 1957, loaded ( assembled into a live round) in 1982. Unable to determine by the inked numbers what type of projectile was loaded into the case ( HE, AA, AP, Illum., etc).

29 minutes ago, 917601 said:

I did not clearly tie it all together. Your steel case was manufactured in 1957, loaded ( assembled into a live round) in 1982. Unable to determine by the inked numbers what type of projectile was loaded into the case ( HE, AA, AP, Illum., etc).

Wow. That is very interesting explanation. Thank you for taking the time to get that info!!!

Chris