Just bought this jolly Rogers patch, I think it’s good, what do you say

greek5bc

vintageproductions

Mort- There is no clean cut way to explain except to look at photos and handle original pieces and learn the tell tales of each countries embroidery style.

I am sure you could explain it as well as I could.

Maybe you could explain what you think collectors would need to know and I can just add to it.

Maybe the easiest way first is to see that it is not US made. We should know what a period WW2 made patch construction looks like and if it does not look like US that is first step. Next is to hopefully know where the unit served and than the type of construction typical for that area. As seen by Bills comment he thought it maybe Japanese. Bob said Australian so there must be some similarity. Most obvious is the uneven stitch pattern, no even rows, no symmetry and no snow. Generally the Australian product wartime  is better constructed with high grade materials. Obviously you will not have a wartime Japanese made patch, so if you have one it must be post war. Now is it Phillipine,Korean,Thai,VN, Japanese for this answer I will defer to Bob for his expertise in this area is superior. To be honest you would need a book. Bobs saying seeing and handling is key. Hope this helps in so small way. Oh,also you will not encounter many Australian made patches except for the Marine woven type by Cash and Co. The Australian squadron patches are usually pretty rare, costly and in demand. Check out Walika's Marine Sq patches where he shows many Aussie made patches for exceptional depictions.

Mort

Apparently buying the patch from the Holy Grail collection was not reassuring  enough so you needed the forum to convey its blessing. That was a smart idea since you will get alot of opinions and usally the correct answer Surprised by the way that it sold for that much. Was the Holy Grail  collection all that anyway,just asking?