Western Knife Unknown to Me

capt14k

I bought this Western Knife and it seems to be WWII Era and has a name on the blade and a number on the other side. Sheath is double stitched. However I have never seen this type of knife before. It has the Western Pat No on Ricasso. No brass. Overall length is 9 3/8, blade length is 5 1/4, and blade width is just 5/8". Anyone know what it is?

10daf41b3dc5675f51915e5de5df8ec8.jpg

ce9d49461c0765e871c1dff9b84c11b3.jpg

3553657e68602826ece9e0e63c7dffa6.jpg

b45da21fde8169eecd68dea5214a3a95.jpg

2cfdc4a2297051fadfefb4663b016564.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Western "Shark" knife..typical WW2 used knife. Popular with the Navy Pilots etc. There is a version with a flat steel Pommel as well. Search the forum for Shark Knife and they will show several.

Your looks to have been sharpened or used to the point where the blade profile was changed slightly.

Definitely not a Western Shark model.  Those where a Western blade pattern 46, and like was said earlier they all had a fullered blade.  Western has a lot of other blades that have a similar shape to the one in the OP.  I'll have to get out my 1941 Western catalog.  If Zzz shows up first he can probably tell you off the top of his head.

with the blade between 5"-5 1/2" I'd say it's likely an L58 model Western.  If the blade was shorter it could have been an L48.  Most catalog images don't show either of those with full guards. 

The blade shows the patent number for the bifurcated tang which was awarded in 1933.  It was common to see that stamping on Western fixed blade knives during WW2 and was dropped  in the early 1950's.  About the same time Western started stamping the stock number on the back side of the blade.

These two models aren't normally recognized as being produced and distributed during WW2.  Still could be a private purchase knife bought in the early days of the War or sometime before.  Also could be an early post war re-introduction of that model using some left over war production parts.

I can't quite read the last name on the blade, what is it?

The numbers on the other side is a US Navy service number. With the guys last name, I bet you could find a bit on his service.

I can't quite read the last name on the blade, what is it?

The numbers on the other side is a US Navy service number. With the guys last name, I bet you could find a bit on his service.
Last name is first. I think it is Earl Esrickman

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Western "Shark" knife..typical WW2 used knife. Popular with the Navy Pilots etc. There is a version with a flat steel Pommel as well. Search the forum for Shark Knife and they will show several.

Your looks to have been sharpened or used to the point where the blade profile was changed slightly.
I have a lot of Western Shark knives and I don't believe this is one of them.

with the blade between 5"-5 1/2" I'd say it's likely an L58 model Western.  If the blade was shorter it could have been an L48.  Most catalog images don't show either of those with full guards. 
The blade shows the patent number for the bifurcated tang which was awarded in 1933.  It was common to see that stamping on Western fixed blade knives during WW2 and was dropped  in the early 1950's.  About the same time Western started stamping the stock number on the back side of the blade.
These two models aren't normally recognized as being produced and distributed during WW2.  Still could be a private purchase knife bought in the early days of the War or sometime before.  Also could be an early post war re-introduction of that model using some left over war production parts.
Yes L-58 makes sense, but like you said I never seen one with the full crossguard. Early war private purchase could make sense. I will take a look at name tomorrow with knife in hand and see if I can make it out better.

Earl W. Couchman

Service Number – 9575119

Birth Date - 14 Oct 1924

Place of Birth – Arkansas City, Kansas

Death Date - 9 May 2005

Last Residence - Rochester, NY

Branch - Navy

Aviation Radio Technician, Second Class

Ship Station or Activity

Winged Arrow

Hull Designation

AP-170

Ship Station or Activity

Naval Air Base, Navy Number 939 (Airpac Pool)

Year

Greece Post (NY) - June 2, 2005

Section: Obits

Earl W. Couchman died May 9, 2005 at age 80.

Mr. Couchman was a veteran of the Korean Conflict.

He is survived by his wife Ethel; daughter Peggy (Wesley) Irish of California; 2 grandchildren; sister Louise (Ted) Hopper of California.

A memorial services was held at Aldersgate United Methodist Church. Arrangements were made by Farrell-Ryan Funeral Home.

Donations may be to Aldersgate United Methodist Church.

Earl W. Couchman
Service Number – 9575119
Birth Date - 14 Oct 1924
Place of Birth – Arkansas City, Kansas
Death Date - 9 May 2005
Last Residence - Rochester, NY
Branch - Navy
Aviation Radio Technician, Second Class

Ship Station or Activity
Winged Arrow
Hull Designation
AP-170

Ship Station or Activity
Year
So did he serve in both WWII and Korea?

6 hours ago, capt14k said:

Ship Station or Activity
Year

This Navy Muster Roll is dated 1 November 1945 and showed his Service Number – 9575119

6 hours ago, capt14k said:

Ship Station or Activity
Winged Arrow
Hull Designation
AP-170

This Navy Muster Roll is dated 7 October 1945 and showed his Service Number – 9575119

There were no more Navy Muster Rolls after those two on Fold3.

WWII ended 2 September 1945, so technically it doesn't appear he served during WWII.

On Ancestry it shows that his enlistment date is 13 Oct 1950 and it's the same person so I don't know how to explain what's going on here.  But there's the information.

Name:            Earl Couchman

Birth Date:     14 Oct 1924

Death Date:  9 May 2005

Cause of Death:      Natural

Enlistment Date 1:  13 Oct 1950