A genuine Iwo Jima flag?

ScottG

This flag comes with a bit of a story. about 35 years ago I was a pretty broke 17 year old collector. I went to a local gun and knife show with a close friend and his Dad, also collectors. As most kids will do I found my weekly allotment of items and spent most of my money. Basically I had $5.00 and some change. I should mention that at the time and for many years after, I collected almost exclusively WWII Japanese uniforms and equipment.

Well, as things go, we were leaving when I noticed a guy trying to sell a small bag of misc items that included several pieces of Japanese insignia. He was willing to take $15 for the lot, but alas I only had my $5, and at 17 you just aren't cute enough for people to feel sorry and let you have the deal... So, in steps my buddy's Dad who was a real wheeler dealer. To this day, neither my buddy nor I know what the actual price was, but old George bought the bag and gave me the Japanese insignia for the $5. I was ecstatic as it was a great deal even in the 80s! Our best guess is George likely got it for $2 and made a profit from me! He was just that way, and we loved him for it.

So, George has been dead for over 20 years and my buddy John and I are trying to find an old Iron Maiden concert shirt from that time period for my Son. As we are searching drawers in Johns basement, out comes the bag and John says "hey remember this?" Well I did and we had quite the laugh telling my Son the story and speculating on what George actually paid. 

So, I look through what was left and this flag caught my attention. On the bunting is written in what appears to be fountain ink, LTC Jackson B. Butterfield followed by something else, then 28th Marines, Feb 19th, Iwo Jima. Sadly the other misc smalls give no hint as to why this was at a gun show in Michigan or any direct link to Butterfield.

I never really paid attention to the other contents of the bag as I was only interested in the Japanese items... That said, I do hold a MA in military history and Butterfield was not unknown to me. I was floored and still to this day am. The flag still belongs to Georges Son and I photographed it today as he may sell it. With no long provenance, I don't know what to think. It was literally no more than $15 in the early 80s and has been at George's house ever since, in a drawer. It is cotton and measures 54" x 32" and has a few stains but is otherwise solid and displays well. What do you all think? I am at a loss as to this type of thing and can find no Iwo flags on any of the auction sites to compare it to. 

Thanks, Scott.

DSCN0867.JPG

DSCN0861.JPG

DSCN0862.JPG

DSCN0863.JPG

DSCN0864.JPG

DSCN0865.JPG

DSCN0866.JPG

DSCN0868.JPG

What’s written on the flag is done in laundry marker, not fountain ink.  

Respectfully, I guess I’m not sure what the question is.  All that I think you’ll ever know is that it’s a 48-star flag that somebody wrote the name of the 28th Marines Commander on.  

Was it his?  Was it on Iwo?  Did he autograph it at a reunion?  Did he give it as a gift?

Being a long-time USMC collector, without anything conclusive, it’s a 48-star flag to me.  Calling it an “Iwo flag” is a stretch for me.

Likely more sentimental / nostalgia value to you than anything.