Reproduction M1918 Trench Knife Scabbard on eBay being offered as original

tarheeltim

SKIPH, here's another object lesson for you to share with newer collectors!  This is a reproduction M1918 trench knife scabbard currently listed on eBay (item 164520119975, if someone could link to the auction), that is being offered as an unissued original.  I messaged the seller (whom I don't know) earlier today to let them know it was definitely a reproduction, and that they run the risk of tarnishing their stellar feedback rating by not accurately describing the item.  I have not gotten a response, and the item description has not been updated.  The current bid price (over $200) confirms there are those out there believing it is an original.

Greetings all,

As requested here's the reproduction scabbard being offered. And the next image below (with white circles) shows a comparison between the same style of repro (on viewer's left) and an original (on viewer's right). Note the lack of crimps near the mouth of the scabbard in question (red arrow). There are other tells, but due to the seller's poor images this is the easiest one to show.

Best,

V/r Lance

1817261216_ReproScabbard.jpg.899ab4a204ffe05625d30653ee2a706d.jpg

Compare.jpg

Tim- How you doing my friend? Haven't seen you in ages. Lance, thanks for posting the ad. To be honest, the only way I could tell the repros from the originals is the "crimps" near the dates. We can all see how it would be easy to be fooled whether intentional or not.  WOW! It has 10 bids, and up to $202.   SKIP

Thanks for the photos Lance, and good to hear from you Skip!  In addition to the crimp and slightly smaller rivet heads, the repro scabbards typically don't have a drain hole, and no period after the "L" and after the "F".

Recently I was looking at a site selling reproduction military items as well as documented originals.  Along with other things they sell these reproduction sheaths.  From their site they advise buyers that the sheaths tend to fit loosely on many 1918's, and that crimping the sheath is the way to improve the fit.  

So I'm thinking we  best make ourselves very familiar with all the details separating the reproductions from the originals.

I see that the description has now been updated to indicate he's been told by others that it is a reproduction, however, he says he thinks it is authentic.

EmperorWangDong

Kinda feel bad for the high bidder, probably bought a repro knife sold as original too without the scabbard. It quite literally pays off to study up on this stuff.

EmperorWangDong
3 hours ago, tarheeltim said:

I just noticed the auction was ended, and the item was relisted as a reproduction.

Yes, I was able to convince him it was indeed a reproduction and showed him where he could buy a new one. He told me he felt embarrassed for being taken on it and did he right thing and ended the listing.