Navy EOD officer: placement of Explosive Ordnance Disposal badges

Bob Hudson

I picked up several items from a retired Navy Captain who was a Special Operations Officer (EOD, Diver) -  including uniforms, ribbons and insignia.

The insignia was all in a bag and I'm trying to figure out where to place it on the uniformS. He retired in 2000, before they created a new badge and designator for Special Operations Officer: He wore the old Special Operations Warfare insignia, similar in size and shape to a Surface Warfare badge. I read that officers in his day could wear the  SPECIAL OPERATIONS badge and the silverish EOD badge. In 2007 the SPEC OPS badge was replaced with a gold tone EOD badge. 

Beside these badges and his ribbon rack, he also wore the COMMAND ASHORE and COMMAND AT SEA badges. I did find a photo of him at his last change of command wearing whites.

So here's my guess so far as to how to place the insignia on the service blue uniform:

eodbadge1.jpg

eodbadge2.jpg

eodbadge3.jpg

eodbadge4.jpg

easterneagle87

Interesting that he has an AF Outstanding Unit award ribbon sandwiched between the Navy Unit Commendation and the Meritorious Unit Commendation ribbons. Possible cross training with explosives?  

On 11/18/2020 at 2:39 PM, easterneagle87 said:

Interesting that he has an AF Outstanding Unit award ribbon

The decoration records online show these, including one from the Army. 

820301.jpg

840530.jpg

880808.jpg

910630.jpg

910711.jpg

930510.jpg