Winchester Model 12 riotgun

mvmhm

Yesterday we received a surprise donation - a Model 12 riotgun.  It's got matching serial numbers  (989138) and is in very good condition. Plenty of ordnance marks and a nice carthouch on the stock. As if this wasn't enough,  it came with a substantial monetary donation to support the Museum. 

Mark sends

IMG_20201117_200458.jpg

IMG_20201117_200548.jpg

I'm not sure how we'll display it yet. We're planning on moving to a new location in a town about 20 minutes from our current location on the Dayton VA Medical Center, so I might leave it in storage until we get into our new digs. Here's the stock...

Mark sends

IMG_20201119_201002.jpg

Nice...! A little later than mine (971xxx...? I’ll have to get it out to look)......I believe most of the Riot Guns were produced before they started Trench Gun production.

Correct on the inspector's mark...as for the S/N...I've looked at a couple different references...one indicates it wasn't made until late 1945, which I don't really believe that...the other looks like 1943/43....but then there's a "41" stamped on the lower receiver just ahead of where the stock screw is.

Mark sends

10 minutes ago, mvmhm said:

Correct on the inspector's mark...as for the S/N...I've looked at a couple different references...one indicates it wasn't made until late 1945, which I don't really believe that...the other looks like 1943/43....but then there's a "41" stamped on the lower receiver just ahead of where the stock screw is.

Mark sends

Well,  Lt. Col. Waldemar Broberg was an inspector in 1941 through June of 1942.  I would say the "41" is the correct year for it.

All of the serial number places I look up still say that one was made in 1945 though. Weird. I guess it could have an earlier replacement stock on it. That would not be out of the ordinary for the military.

No worries about the OP’s Riot Gun, it’s a good honest one. I checked the serial number on mine again, it was made about 10,000 before the OP’s Model 12 and both are identical in all details. On both Shotguns you will find a date on the underside of the barrel but to see it some partial disassembly is required.....pretty sure it can be seen if the gun is taken down and the magazine tube removed.

Here are some pics of mine, it has a date of ‘42’ on the underside of the barrel, and my guess is we will find the same on mvm’s museum donation. Most of these were made prior to Model 12s going into Trench Gun production, and if any were made in ‘45 they would have a parkerized finish.

6C0777DC-0578-403F-B7DE-ABA85249962D.jpeg

E6276324-5299-4598-A524-0082AD32ECC3.jpeg

01A6829A-C8B7-4DCF-823A-3E71114B772E.jpeg

1A18333B-7933-4893-8404-47A36DF64145.jpeg

0784158A-C539-4F9E-B945-5BBDA65291A5.jpeg

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying that and the pics. Do you have a pic of the date on the barrel? I would like to see it for future reference.

Thanks, Scott

21 minutes ago, Scottz63 said:

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying that and the pics. Do you have a pic of the date on the barrel? I would like to see it for future reference.

Thanks, Scott

Sorry Scott, I haven’t taken any to demonstrate...but if it helps I think a reference pic of a Winchester barrel date may be in Canfield’s shotgun book.