Boeing XPPB-1 pilots seat?

P-59A

So A guy with the original archives of the Warren McArthur Company contacted me and proved the seat that I identified as being from a Mars JRM was not correct.  He sent photo's of original  documents and proved his point. The documents say the seat used in the JRM was a Mod. 262 and he sent the Mod. 262 information. This is a part of our conversation. "

"I believe that the seat you have is a Warren McArthur Model 182 which is the pilot seat for a Boeing PB1B1 from 1943."     I looked for this aircraft and now think he mistyped "PB1B" The only Boeing sea plane from that time frame is the XPBB-1. This was a one off proto type.  Do any of you have photo's of that seat?

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

These are photo's of the interior of the XPPB-1. I have yet to find a cockpit photo. I now know the seats seen are Warren McArthur. It sure looks like Warren McArthur kept the same basic idea of sea plane seats and modified them as needed.

pbb1-12.jpg

pbb1-13.jpg

I put the seat back together to have a better idea of what I am looking at. The last three photo's are of another unknown Warren McArthur seat a friend owns.

20201120_173022.jpg

20201120_173032.jpg

20201120_173057.jpg

20201120_173105.jpg

20201120_173722.jpg

20201120_234055.jpg

FullSizeR(1).jpg

FullSizeR(2).jpg

FullSizeR.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Warren McArthur used the same basic idea for sea plane pilots seats. My seat top was cut, but its the actual seat construction I need to see.

• 1 month later...

I'm communicating with Boeing on my seat. A guy suggested it may be the XPBB-1. When I asked the guy how he came up with that he said what follows in my e-mail to Boeing. I also sent this to the Air and Space museum...  "Brian, this is an update on what may be a XPBB-1 seat. I am in contact with Boeing and sent them this e-mail, "I should also mention I have been talking to an expert on Warren McArthur seats. He is the one who proved my seat  was not the Mars seat by sending that first photo. He has the original archives for Warren McArthur and suggested it may be the XPBB-1 seat. I asked him how he came to that conclusion and he said "I looked at the seat photo's (that I sent him) got the model number went to my reference sheets and that's what McArthur had as the plane that seat was in. The problem is the variants in these seats is really close and there can be 8 or 10."  I am not sure what "8 or 10" means. It could be that McArthur submitted 8 or 10 seats to Boeing of that same type with minor variations. My seat was flown. I took it to Yanks air museum and they confirmed the damage to the seat rails came from a combination of two metals (steel and aluminum) in contact with each other and the negative ground of the plane in contact with moisture caused the electrolysis damage.  Yours David"

Ok, 8 or 10 means A-J on the variations of the seat. McArthur submitted slight variations of the seat to Boeing and or the Navy and one of the variations was used on the XPBB-1. He is not sure what the variation letter of my seat is as they all pretty much look the same.

• 1 month later...

Boeing just e-mailed me. After searching the material on hand nothing helpful was found. My request has been kicked upstairs to a senior archivist who has access to all archives. Fingers crossed!!!!

• 2 years later...

That is a cool seat and it is a Warren McArthur. It's a latter production seat. Look at how everything connects. 

I was told it was a C-130 seat but after some research... Looks like its from a Grumman Albatross.

It's forsale if you know anyone looking.