Looking for information on WW1-Banana Wars-WW2 Custom Made Ribbon Bars + Boxed Insignia

huntssurplus

Posted this in the "What's It Worth" section and didn't receive any information. Figured I would get a better chance of the people who know a fair amount on this stuff to give me some information. 

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have here. No idea on the era of the boxed Insignia. Family I got this from had at least two Navy service members in the family, one WW1-post era and one WW2 era if I remember correctly. I believe the ribbons belonged to the WW1 guy as they show obvious WW1 and Banana wars service ribbons, but there are also WW2 ribbons so I'm guessing he must have had an extensive career. I'm guessing ribbons are 1940's era construction as well. Look to be well made. I see WW2 ribbon bars selling on here for $10-$25 regularly so how about custom made ribbon bars with Banana War service ribbons? Am i correct to assume this lost is worth about $200 total? 

Thanks!
Hunt

Ribbon bar values are driven as follows:

1.  Attributed set to someone with interesting service and/or a higher valor award

2.  wide USN/USMC WW2 era factory-made slide-ons that are very much in demand by those looking to restore a WW2 uniform.

Unfortunately, while your ribbons represent a rather interesting combination of service, they are unattributed and aren't factory-made slide-ons that could be used to restore a uniform.

They are kind of "cool", but that doesn't translate to much $$.  Most collectors would only buy them as a curiosity if priced right. Perhaps $40 to $50 for it all?

The ribbons certainly point to one man's service in the Navy. They are in excellent condition and might be worth hanging onto in hopes you might be able to acquire his name. 20+ years of service and a Navy Commendation to boot. If the ribbons could only speak of what he saw!

2 hours ago, KurtA said:

Ribbon bar values are driven as follows:

1.  Attributed set to someone with interesting service and/or a higher valor award

2.  wide USN/USMC WW2 era factory-made slide-ons that are very much in demand by those looking to restore a WW2 uniform.

Unfortunately, while your ribbons represent a rather interesting combination of service, they are unattributed and aren't factory-made slide-ons that could be used to restore a uniform.

They are kind of "cool", but that doesn't translate to much $$.  Most collectors would only buy them as a curiosity if priced right. Perhaps $40 to $50 for it all?

Kurt, thank you for the more accurate appraisal. That makes a lot more sense as to why those half inch ribbons are seen as being sold for more. I didn't pay too much for them, there were uniforms there too but they wanted a lot more for them. In the couple hundreds so I passed. 

2 minutes ago, Matt-M said:

The ribbons certainly point to one man's service in the Navy. They are in excellent condition and might be worth hanging onto in hopes you might be able to acquire his name. 20+ years of service and a Navy Commendation to boot. If the ribbons could only speak of what he saw!

Matt, thanks for the information as well! He definitely had quite the active service time. I just wish I got his name. The estate sale worker was really hounding me to get in and get out and then didn't respond kindly to any of my subsequent messages I sent him asking questions. I wanted to get the uniforms but never got a chance too. It was a pretty far drive into upstate Maryland and I just didn't have the time to get back as the hours of operations for the sale were so constricted. I might be able to find his email address though, not sure if he would remember. Could be worth a shot?