Vietnam 1st Pattern Jungle SF MACV Shirt

m1a2u2

20 minutes ago, gwb123 said:

m1a2u2:

I am sorry I am late to the conversation.  As you have noted, this uniform shows the classic signs of tampering.

What I've picked up so far from members like spike and others who have pointed out details to look for:

-appear to be some ghost stitch lines showing where previous patches were removed. 

-puckering is insufficient on some of the patches (I think?) 

-threads are all the same color. 

The Airborne tab is a good example.  There was one there before, but it has been replaced. 

It looks like there may have been an SF arrowhead as well, but this has also been replaced.

The sleeve rank has been replaced.  This is not unusual, but in this case this individual has been advance two grades above E-6, 

rather than just moving up one grade.  (It looks like there was previous rank for SP/4 and E-5, which was probably legit.)

The US Army tape has been replaced, but it would be odd that it would be replaced with a color tape.  These uniforms were issued

with a black and gold tape, and if they were replaced, it would have been with a subdued tape.

Like the jump in rank, the jump wings have been replaced, going from Basic to Master, while Senior would have been the next

logical progression.  Both the jump wings and CIB barely make an impression on the backside of the cloth inside the shirt.

The MACV right shoulder patch also does not look like it has been on the uniform very long, as it also does not leave much of

an impression into the cloth of the jacket.

What puzzles me is why someone would go to all this work on a jungle jacket with that nasty stain on the front pocket.  Most

repro artists would have used a clean uniform.  If they intended to age it, they would have aged the entire jacket.  Repeated washings

with bleach would help along with pressing with an iron and sun fading.

There is one honorable explanation for this uniform... sometimes when you see them like this they were made for wear by a veteran

at reunions.  There is no way to ascertain that on this one.  Sometimes you will find them with some kind of veteran's pin or association 

patch that will give you a clue.

Good luck with your future collecting.  The Vietnam era is very colorful, and can be rewarding to a collector.  But starting out,

you need to maintain a lot of skepticism.  Take some time to page through the threads on this Forum and develop an eye for 

what is real and what is not.  And don't be in a hurry to buy the high dollar stuff.  Walk away unless you are sure of what you are looking at.

Many thanks for taking the time to write out your analysis. This is very helpful and enlightening.