World War One Weekly Wing #47 - F. Kirchenbauer of Newark, NJ

cwnorma

World War One

Weekly Wing #47

F. Kirchenbauer Naval Aviator

WWOWW47.jpg.e33a762ff4c573d1e40c1dd62357344f.jpg

Description

Naval Aviator

The badge is crisply die struck in one piece in relatively thick sterling stock using the solid strike method.  The badge has a thin gold wash.  An otherwise generally conventional WW1 era Naval Aviator badge, the wing has a slightly unusual, characteristically small flat shield, paired with a slightly oversized anchor--giving it a distinctive appearance.  Flukes are pierced.  This particular badge is known in sterling (as this example) and also in 14k gold.

Markings

Content and hallmarked  "STER<KB>LING" with K backwards and forming the back of the letter B.

Mountings

Heavy Blanchard (aka "Tiffany") safety catch with a robust 70 degree long pin.

Background

1796063603_ScreenShot2019-01-02at5_11_20PM.png.0445531cffcd484ffea3c9fc8652a694.png

Not much is known (or can be found) with respect to Frank Kirchenbauer and much of the information is mysteriously contradictory.  His factory was located at 105 Chestnut St in Newark, NJ.  The building no longer stands and the address today is apartments.

2024491436_ScreenShot2020-11-14at12_16_21PM.png.4dc094eb9d35f172b9ce6f4aece1adb6.png

Kirchenbauer F Inc. was listed in the 1918 Newark, NJ city directory as a manufacturing jeweler.

104099172_ScreenShot2020-11-14at12_11_25PM.png.53451165386aa2d459bc8839f272c839.png

Frank Kirchenbauer's draft registration card.

Frantz (Frank) Wilhelm Kirchenbauer was born on April 19, 1879, in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.  Although his draft card indicates he was a natural born US citizen.  His company is known to have made military insignia and sweetheart jewelry, especially Naval insignia.   Newark city directories show the company in business between 1912 and 1918.  Interestingly, Frank Kirchenbauer is listed in New Jersey public records as as having died in July 1921 however there is evidence he moved to Toledo, Ohio and died in 1942.  Perhaps, Kirchenbauer's German ancestry caused him to leave New Jersey?  The man, like his firm, is something of a mystery.

We are nearing the home stretch on these posts.  Its been quite a year with only about six weeks left!  I would love to hear your thoughts on this interesting badge.  Even better, if there are examples out there in the collections--I'd love to see them!

Chris

Chris, thanks very much for the write up on the Kirchenbauer Aviator Wing Badge!

It is a gorgeous and rare wing. 😍

I am sure that you are aware that Cliff has the 14k the on Bob’s website.

Thanks for posting wing and the supporting documentation.

Best, John

20 hours ago, B-17Guy said:

I am sure that you are aware that Cliff has the 14k the on Bob’s website.

On 11/14/2020 at 12:39 PM, cwnorma said:

This particular badge is known in sterling (as this example) and also in 14k gold.

John,  Yep!  I even linked to it in my post above.  If you click the words "14k gold" in the original post it will take you to Bob's website and Cliff's wonderful badge.

Cheers!

Chris 

• 4 weeks later...

Just going through some photos of my wings and I didn't realize that I have a variant of the wing by Kirchenbauer.

Here is the cap size WWI Aviator in 14k with the Kirchenbauer hallmark.

Thanks for the help Chris!

John

Navy unk hm WWI cap size #577 001.jpg

Navy unk hm WWI cap size #577 002.jpg

Very cool wing from a very rare maker!

When researching Frank Kirchenbauer I was struck by how little information I could find and the mysterious contradictions surrounding him, his life, and business.

Best wishes!

Chris