Nam 82nd Airborne Shirt

m1a2u2

You shouldn’t keep a cotton shirt on a wire hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m just curious here- why should you not use wire hangers?

vintageproductions
1 hour ago, T1gertank519 said:

I’m just curious here- why should you not use wire hangers?

If there is too much weight with the piece of clothing the wire hanger will tear the shoulder material or if it is close to a strong light you will get a hanger outline burn.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

In addition the problem I see, after looking through hundreds of other people’s closets, is that the hanger is prone to rust leaving a stain that can’t be removed.

donation2013.gif

You're looking at your uniform wrong.....start on the inside....show pictures of the patches where they're attached on the inside of the uniform.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

When I started collecting WWII patches as a kid almost fifty years ago, I was always told by the "old timers" that I should turn the patch over and look at the back. It is the easiest way to tell an original from a fake or an early patch from a more modern example. While I've never collected German crap, I know that the old collectors always look at the back side of the patch or badge before worrying about the front side. In uniforms, the same can be said- if you want to know if it is real, you need to look at the INSIDE of the uniform for clues before getting excited about the outside. 

Another piece of advice that I got from more advanced collectors is to go into a purchase ASSUMING that the piece is a fake, and then make the piece PROVE itself to you that it is an original. Never let your desire for a piece to be original cloud your judgement. You are going to have dealers, other collectors, etc. try to explain away causes for concern. DO NOT LET THEM SAWY YOUR JUDGEMENT!

Do your homework before you start throwing money around on items that you don't know anything about. You wouldn't trust your retirement savings to a financial advisor without vetting the advisor and making sure that they have a solid track record of growth of their investments. The dumbest thing you can do as a collector is what I see most of the 3rd Reich collectors do- they post a piece on the forum and say "I just bought this and want to know if it is original and how much it is worth." If you don't know, DO NOT BUY! The exception to this is buying stuff at stupidly cheap prices. Buying a paratrooper Ike jacket for $3 at a garage sale is going to be a pretty safe investment. Buying a $600 Ike jacket on eBay is a lot more dicey. 

FINALLY- don't treat other collectors like the competition. They are going to be your best source of stuff that you collect. You treat them bad, they are not going to treat you well. I'm going to use Kammo-man as an example here. If he types "FAKE," you've probably been taken to the cleaners. Instead of bitching about his post, why not send him a Private Message to ask him why? Better yet, why not say, this is why I think the jacket is original, and let him have some idea of the depth of your knowledge. To simply respond publicly, "How do you ban somebody?" probably isn't going to win you any points with the more advanced collector.

Good luck. This is a great hobby, but you need to put in the work if you are going to collect with the big boys.

As an aside, the sheer number of patches and combinations there of on the 82nd fatigue shirt should be enough to tell you not to buy.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

1 hour ago, Allan H. said:

FINALLY- don't treat other collectors like the competition. They are going to be your best source of stuff that you collect. You treat them bad, they are not going to treat you well. I'm going to use Kammo-man as an example here. If he types "FAKE," you've probably been taken to the cleaners. Instead of bitching about his post, why not send him a Private Message to ask him why? Better yet, why not say, this is why I think the jacket is original, and let him have some idea of the depth of your knowledge. To simply respond publicly, "How do you ban somebody?" probably isn't going to win you any points with the more advanced collector.

Good luck. This is a great hobby, but you need to put in the work if you are going to collect with the big boys.

As an aside, the sheer number of patches and combinations there of on the 82nd fatigue shirt should be enough to tell you not to buy.

Allan

Allan, thanks for the kind words. To set the record straight, I asked "how do you block someone?"  I understand that a lot of the more senior members here are friends, but if someone wants to provide snarky, rude, and other unhelpful responses (i.e. "FAKE," "Don't use wire hangers," or "ask mommie dearest"), do not expect me to laugh it off. I have been collecting helmets and field gear for 20 years now (since I was a kid) and have started to move into the uniform realm. And as some folks have already alluded to, militaria collecting is one of the most unwelcoming hobbies for kids that are interested. The arrogance amongst a small group of senior collectors still will continue to ensure many young people will look elsewhere for hobbies. Many of the people on this forum have provided me extremely constructive and helpful feedback. But when Kammo-man calls me a crackhead, that's the kind of thing where you will see me asking to block him. 

Again, I understand a lot of you are friends, but I would encourage you to think about the damage comments like his do to interest in the hobby. 

As for my post, this item was not even purchased, and I would never purchase something I was not 100% unless I knew it could return it. The person I bought this from has always told me if I EVER experience an issue or have doubts about an item, I can return it. 

Once again, I appreciate you and other members helping me with my new interest in uniforms. 

vintageproductions

Instead of constantly posting how the "Military collecting community is unwelcoming to young collectors", you should realize you are putting a target on your back for harsh criticism.

The militaria collector community goes out of their way to help collectors, whether young or old, esp. on this forum.

When they stop helping is when the information that is being asked over and over, is already on this forum in numerous locations. I have never seen anyone not help anyone on this forum in all the years I have been a member here.

When all the collectors have tried to answer your questions, you have just lashed out at them in your replies.

You may not like Kammo-man, and I know there are a lot here that don't, but like I told you in our PM, he will help anyone that asks for help, until he feels he is being played or the poster is ungrateful and doesn't say thank you.

This all started with the camo BDQ advisor shirt that you posted that was bought on Ebay, or was listed on Ebay. All your questions were answered by a lot of the advanced VN collectors. But even with their answers you lashed out a their response. On your posts yesterday everyone has told you to look at the stitching on the backside that the stitching would explain everything. When you posted the backside of the jungle shirt it was obvious to anyone looking which threads were original and which were brand new.

I am not sure what more you expect out of the collectors that have offered you help. They have done everything they can to answer your questions. All that have helped you have been burned, sometimes numerous times, on humped up uniforms. There is no one in the collecting field that hasn't fallen for one, no matter how advanced they are. What more do you expect?

The sad part is eventually the collectors that have tried to help, will just stop posting on your threads.

Also the last part of your post, As for my post, this item was not even purchased, and I would never purchase something I was not 100% unless I knew it could return it. The person I bought this from has always told me if I EVER experience an issue or have doubts about an item, I can return it. You say you didn't buy it, and then at the ed you said you bought it already. I'm confused.

Look, you can ask any question you want, but don't attack the people helping you because you think they are attacking you because of your age. But if you keep saying how unfriendly this hobby is, don't be surprised if people do stop helping you.

The vast majority of us started collecting when we were very young, and it was hard to get other collectors to share information. Some did, and you were lucky if they were your friends and would share. Now collectors have numerous forums, IG accounts, all other Social media outlets, to get information 24 / 7 and can get instant gratification and answers. So it is hard to feel sorry for comments like "Militaria is not welcoming to young collectors". You get out this hobby what you put into it.

vintageproductions

Here is a shirt that I have sitting to process.

It has been worn and used in Vietnam.

If you look at the backs of the stitching you can see puckering and use.

When you look at the shirts you have posted there is nothing to show use.

Also, look at the first photo and you can see how "soft" the patches look that have been worn. On a couple of yours the patches still look very "stiff".

erdl1.jpg

erdl2.jpg

erdl3.jpg

erdl4.jpg

That is very helpful and informative. Thank you for your valuable feedback and guidance. I'm not sure why you are claiming that I have lashed out at everyone who is trying to help me. If that is the way you feel, then please accept my apologies. But it's false to claim that I have been lashing out at everyone who has been trying to help me. The only person I lashed out was Kammo-man for the simple reason that he was not trying to help me. With that said, I have still thanked him on multiple occasions. So you and I can agree to disagree over how helpful we think he is. 

Also, I am not sure what BDQ ebay post you are referring to. 

To clarify the bold sentence, I did not purchase the item pictured in this thread, but did purchase the others. Apologies for the typo.

For what it's worth, I was no looking to cause drama, so I am sorry you felt you needed to write up a long post. 

Getting back to the matter at hand, is it an accurate description to say that I should be looking for the threads to almost be "fuzzy?"

19 hours ago, m1a2u2 said:

Allan, thanks for the kind words. To set the record straight, I asked "how do you block someone?"  I understand that a lot of the more senior members here are friends, but if someone wants to provide snarky, rude, and other unhelpful responses (i.e. "FAKE," "Don't use wire hangers," or "ask mommie dearest"), do not expect me to laugh it off. I have been collecting helmets and field gear for 20 years now (since I was a kid) and have started to move into the uniform realm. And as some folks have already alluded to, militaria collecting is one of the most unwelcoming hobbies for kids that are interested. The arrogance amongst a small group of senior collectors still will continue to ensure many young people will look elsewhere for hobbies. Many of the people on this forum have provided me extremely constructive and helpful feedback. But when Kammo-man calls me a crackhead, that's the kind of thing where you will see me asking to block him. 

Again, I understand a lot of you are friends, but I would encourage you to think about the damage comments like his do to interest in the hobby. 

As for my post, this item was not even purchased, and I would never purchase something I was not 100% unless I knew it could return it. The person I bought this from has always told me if I EVER experience an issue or have doubts about an item, I can return it. 

Once again, I appreciate you and other members helping me with my new interest in uniforms. 

When someone simply posts
Thoughts
Be prepared to accept the one word answer.

Don’t deflect.

Owen

M1A2U2:  See my other post regarding stuff like this.  I.e., "if it looks too good to be true it probably is."  

This shirt, IMO, is just silly.  It looks like a patch catalog threw up all over it.  

A Spec 7 with 2 awards of the CIB, Thai wings AND jungle expert?  And why would an infantry /SF NCO even be a Spec 7 instead of a SFC?  

Then there's the fact that you have what appears to be a well used shirt with what appear to be brand new patches on them - that stands out like a sore thumb.  Take a look at some old photos and you can see that any patch or name tape that had white on it would get dirty, stained, or fade to yellowish-brown after just a few months of use.  

Honestly, that shirt may be worth more if you cut the patches off and sell them individually since some of them appear to be genuine.  

Martin

Englewood, CO

US Army 1980-2005

• 2 weeks later...

As noted, too good to be true.

Looks like a display item from a surplus store that wants to sell patches.

I don't know where you are finding these items, but I would stop doing business with them.  They are trying to steal your money.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

6 minutes ago, gwb123 said:

As noted, too good to be true.

Looks like a display item from a surplus store that wants to sell patches.

I don't know where you are finding these items, but I would stop doing business with them.  They are trying to steal your money.

Thanks. This was not purchased. The others were returned with no issues. 

I’ve been watching this from the sidelines, as I honestly get weary of these topics - just had a very similar one on a helmet thread.  

“m1a2u2”, please try looking at it from a perspective other than your own.  As others have intimated, there are oodles of Vietnam uniform threads for reference, which would have answered your questions thoroughly.  

As it seems you want to cast a broad net on the hobby being “unwelcoming”, I would say that it takes two to tango.  When new members show up here, and show respect and some effort, they are welcomed with open arms.  And FYI, there are plenty of beginning collectors here, who are great ambassadors for the future of this hobby.

But as is the social media age of instant gratification and depersonalization, it sometimes feels like we’re just a portal being used to authenticate someone’s latest FB / eB@y purchase, or to price their items for them.  “Hey Siri-taria, thoughts?”

Bottom line, by my measurement, this has nothing to do with age, experience level, time on the forum, etc.  It has to do with individuals.  Set the tone you want to experience, or do unto others as...  You know the rest.

Lastly, Kammo-Man is a big boy, and can speak for himself, but I will say this:  In my time on this forum, he has helped me more times with VN-era uniforms than I can count, and has always been super-pleasant while doing so.  

Oh, and I am not a dealer nor big-time collector.  I am just some schmuck that likes history, and they treat me really well here.

39 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

I’ve been watching this from the sidelines, as I honestly get weary of these topics - just had a very similar one on a helmet thread.  

“m1a2u2”, please try looking at it from a perspective other than your own.  As others have intimated, there are oodles of Vietnam uniform threads for reference, which would have answered your questions thoroughly.  

As it seems you want to cast a broad net on the hobby being “unwelcoming”, I would say that it takes two to tango.  When new members show up here, and show respect and some effort, they are welcomed with open arms.  And FYI, there are plenty of beginning collectors here, who are great ambassadors for the future of this hobby.

But as is the social media age of instant gratification and depersonalization, it sometimes feels like we’re just a portal being used to authenticate someone’s latest FB / eB@y purchase, or to price their items for them.  “Hey Siri-taria, thoughts?”

Bottom line, by my measurement, this has nothing to do with age, experience level, time on the forum, etc.  It has to do with individuals.  Set the tone you want to experience, or do unto others as...  You know the rest.

Lastly, Kammo-Man is a big boy, and can speak for himself, but I will say this:  In my time on this forum, he has helped me more times with VN-era uniforms than I can count, and has always been super-pleasant while doing so.  

Oh, and I am not a dealer nor big-time collector.  I am just some schmuck that likes history, and they treat me really well here.

I've been on this forum since 2009, but I appreciate you offering your perspective. I couldn't agree more that it all has to do with tone. 

And I'll continue to say thank you to each of the members that have taken the time to help me delve into a new part of militaria collecting. 

17 hours ago, m1a2u2 said:

Thanks. This was not purchased. The others were returned with no issues. 

I don't think you should purchase any more shirts from this guy, as each one you have asked for advice on has turned out to be a put together. Vietnam war era uniforms, especially badged/direct embroidered jungle jackets/OG 107s can be a mine field, but as others have pointed out there are some "key combat indicators", for want of a better term that can assist in telling you if a shirt/uniform is real or in turn put together. I dare say in your 20 years of collecting helmets you have earned from your mistakes and identified the little nuances that tell you a helmet is worth having in your collection. 

'A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon'

Always looking for Vietnam War US Special Forces/MACV-SOG jungle shirts/uniforms and OG107 Shirts/uniforms.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

This seller aside, I would recommend you don’t buy ANY shirts until you learn the basics of what to look for.

Will save you, and everybody involved, a lot of time.  Or maybe ask for opinions first, then buy.

I believe our member m1a2u2 has received a sufficient amount of advice on this particular item.

I daresay most if not all of the collectors on this Forum have made their share of mistakes, especially when moving into a new area of interest.

As there is really not much more to add, this thread is now closed.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

• gwb123 locked this topic