APH-6D squadron identification request

lancecriminal86

lancecriminal86

Greetings

I acquired this APH-6D? a while back after seeing the tape on the helmet. I was hoping I could find some help identifying what squadron this helmet may have been taped up for, and possibly if I could find the original owner. It came through Omaha's Surplus in Fort Worth, TX so there's a chance it was via an estate sale.

The helmet came in fairly rough shape in regards to the visor. Only one screw was remaining, one visor track, and no visor or knob.

I cannot find any clear names on the helmet, or any other identifying marks. On the styrofoam liner I can see what maybe looks like "Steel" but I haven't been able to simply google up anyone with a similar name that would have 1) been from west Texas and 2) was a Naval Aviator active after the APH-6D was in use.

I ultimately would like to find hardware to put the helmet back together but want to keep the tape and exterior original, and possibly get a mask to go with it. Any pointers would be appreciated, I've looked at Flighthelmets.com and a few other places but would need to buy a whole visor kit to get what I need, unless someone wants a bare APH-6D visor housing to reduce the cost.

Even if it it's not complete and would need a serious restoration effort put into it, it's a lovely USN helmet with a neat taping job.

I particularly love the Texas-taped shape and longhorn skull, pretty iconic of that state indeed 😄.

The shell and visor housing seem in good shape, you'd just need to clean them gently and a few spare parts to add, and it would quite easily regain its past glory (depends on what level of restoration you're thinking about, though).

First, I can tell you this is indeed an APH-6D, for the absorbing styrene liner is made of 2 parts, contrary to the A and B variants' liner which was made of 3 parts.

APH-6Cs feature the same 2-parts liner, but they were dual-visors helmets ; so despite the lack of back label (must have been removed or covered with the tape), I'm positive this is a D-model.

The single plastic visor housing features the manual gullwing cut, and the remains of the NAVY decal.

So, from what I see here, for a decent restoration, you're going to need :

• two single-visor APH-6 nylon tracks
  • 6 visor screws
  • a smoked APH-6 single visor
  • a MS-22001 O² mask with Hardman shell / butterfly bayonets / REDAR hose / MC-3A connector
  • an APH-6 earphones / earcups set + cord and plug, with the external earcup round plastic disc retention to attach them to the shell
  • a lower edgeroll

I'll try to search for this yellow / blue checkered tape pattern, I'll keep you updated.

Cheers ;)

No particular squadron showed up when I searched for insignas / tail decoration / helmets taping featuring this particular checkered pattern of yellow and blue.

However, considering only the yellow and light navy blue dual-color for insignas and tail decoration in the 70's era, my search lead me to 3 squadrons in particular.

• VRC-30 Providers * C-2A
  • VA-75 Sunday Punchers * A-6E
  • VP-62 Broadarrows * P-3

The following squadrons also showed a yellow / blue visual identity at some point, but not as significant as the 3 quoted above.

• VA-46 Blue Diamonds * A-4 then A-7
  • VA-192 Golden Dragons * A-4 then A-7
  • VAW-121 Blue Tails * E-2
  • VAW-111 Sea Bats * E-2
  • VAW-117 * Wallbangers * E-2
  • VMFA-531 Grey Ghosts * F-4
  • VF-32 Swordsmen * F-4 then F-14

Hope it will be helpful, though I'm far from being an expert in such ID matters ;).

I'll leave it to more skilled members of this forum.

Oh, and I forgot : you'll also need 3 brown leather-covered APH-6 fitting pads for the restoration on the inside.

Sorry for the multi-posting...

lancecriminal86
6 hours ago, Vark_07 said:

No particular squadron showed up when I searched for insignas / tail decoration / helmets taping featuring this particular checkered pattern of yellow and blue.

However, considering only the yellow and light navy blue dual-color for insignas and tail decoration in the 70's era, my search lead me to 3 squadrons in particular.

• VRC-30 Providers * C-2A
  • VA-75 Sunday Punchers * A-6E
  • VP-62 Broadarrows * P-3

The following squadrons also showed a yellow / blue visual identity at some point, but not as significant as the 3 quoted above.

• VA-46 Blue Diamonds * A-4 then A-7
  • VA-192 Golden Dragons * A-4 then A-7
  • VAW-121 Blue Tails * E-2
  • VAW-111 Sea Bats * E-2
  • VAW-117 * Wallbangers * E-2
  • VMFA-531 Grey Ghosts * F-4
  • VF-32 Swordsmen * F-4 then F-14

Hope it will be helpful, though I'm far from being an expert in such ID matters ;).

I'll leave it to more skilled members of this forum.

VP-62 - Broad Arrows

Now THAT has promise, look at the back of the helmet. Looks like an arrowhead to me. Now I just need to try and find some photos or rosters of the 70s-80s.

I considered it when I placed this squadron in the top 3, but I wouldn't be so sure nonetheless. You know, arrows are a pretty common taping pattern when it comes to flight helmets.

It's a 50/50 chance if you ask me, sometimes helmets decorations just don't have anything to do with the insigna, squadron name, or even the planes' paint job.
However, the colors mostly do, that's why I left you such a wide list to deal with.

From what I saw, the 3 top squadrons of the list could be a potential match.

That's just a gut feeling of course, but I'd personally put my bet on the VRC-30 Providers ;).

vrc-30.gif

Happy hunting, and please keep us updated !

One thing I was thinking about : the blue dot in the Texas shape probably points the helmet owner's hometown or residential location.
Supposing I'm right, according to the map he would have been from the Midland / Odessa area.

Besides, I've kept searching, and another plausible match came out : VA-128 Golden Intruders

lancecriminal86

I think the Golden Intruders are/were a RAG squadron, I remember looking at them a few times. There are some other helmets that have shown up in searches with blue/yellow stripes but I figured the arrow might have been a giveaway. Hasn't gone that way though, a bunch of the VP guys said their helmets didn't have the mask mounts or even boom mics, but then a few chipped in later saying they had those exact helmets. I also found photos of APH-6s and HGU-33s with both mask and boom mic from VP squadrons, so I'm not going to hang up on it just yet. Trying to get access to some VP-62 mid-70s specific folks if I can.