Small Navy Navy Chief Petty Officer Grouping - Antarctica Service

ItemCo16527

Good evening, everyone!

This excellent Chief Petty Officer's grouping just arrived today. I'm not 100% on the era, but I'm pretty confident it's Vietnam era judging by the lack of the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and the copper-colored planchet on the National Defense Service Medal.

What I really like is that not only does it have the Chief's medal bar, but it has the accompanying unit awards to be worn with them on the opposite breast of the uniform. I've only managed to get a Navy or Marine Corps medal bar with the accompanying ribbon-only bar one other time, so I'm pretty pleased with that. What pleases me more, though, is the Antarctica Service Medal. I've never had one in my collection before, so I was really stoked to finally get one.

The tie clip is another great feature of the group. My photography skills (or lack thereof) don't do it justice - it's actually in fantastic condition. 

Antarctica (1).JPG

Antarctica (2).JPG

Antarctica (3).JPG

Antarctica (4).JPG

Antarctica (5).JPG

Antarctica (6).JPG

That is a great group.  I’ve seen and had a few of the Antarctic Service Medals, but I’ve never come across one on a mounted bar or ribbon rack.

Great find. 

Thanks! Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I've seen one mounted on a bar. I just wish I had a name to go with it.

9 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

Thanks! Now that you mention it, I can't remember the last time I've seen one mounted on a bar. I just wish I had a name to go with it.

Here are a couple...first up is a group to a Navy intelligence officer who was later a POW/MIA in Vietnam...

Screenshot_4.jpg

And this is one I didn't buy on eBay, but I saw it as a closed auction and took some screen shots. Not many USCG Antarctic Service awardees...

Screenshot_55.jpg

Screenshot_54.jpg

5 hours ago, Dave said:

Here's another one. I sold this group a while back with his khaki jacket and hat as well. Sorry the pic is so small. 

GRIFFITHS.jpg

That is one amazing group! Did you have an ID on it?

4 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

That is one amazing group! Did you have an ID on it?

Oh yeah, it had a mountain of paperwork with it. Pretty amazing group.

3 hours ago, Dave said:

Oh yeah, it had a mountain of paperwork with it. Pretty amazing group.

Nice! Those are the best kinds of groups :)

Sorry about the previous post, don't know if it can be deleted or not.

I will add my grouping. EM1 who was also a brown water navy sailor and a Carrier sailor. Two tours in Antarctica one being a wintered over.

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

collectsmedals
On 11/14/2020 at 9:05 AM, Dave said:

Not many USCG Antarctic Service awardees.

Here is a small U. S. Coast Guard Antarctic Service group I have in my collection. The Coast Guard Achievement Medal is named to a Mark E. Butts with the date 11 JAN 1991. I have tried researching the name but with no luck so far.

DSCF2153.JPG

DSCF2155.JPG

That's a cool grouping. Too bad you can't dig up any info on him. With only one GCM plus the Commendation Medal, I'd assume he was a mustang. Does the Coast Guard publish and officers register? I also wonder if he might've served as an EM, then perhaps ended up at the Coast Guard Academy. 

We dont wear our medal bars much.  The fact there are no stars whatsoever leads me to believe that it was hastily assembled for wear for an event without stars... maybe a retirement.  I've seen it a million times.  It costs a lot of money to mount medals professionally and most dont really do it.  

There's a neat Vietnam combat/Antarctic Service group that was posted yesterday on the Facebook "Make and Offer" forum. I thought it was neat enough to share here for posterity...

Screenshot_38.jpg

Screenshot_39.jpg

Screenshot_40.jpg

Love seeing Antarctic groups

I don't have any mounted full size medals, but I do have two mini medal mounted racks with this medal on them

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2020 at 7:05 PM, Brig said:

Love seeing Antarctic groups

I don't have any mounted full size medals, but I do have two mini medal mounted racks with this medal on them

Hi, Brig. I haven't been very active on the forum for the last couple of months due to lots of work and family commitments. I'd love to see your mini-medal groups if you want to post them :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 11:17 PM, ItemCo16527 said:

Hi, Brig. I haven't been very active on the forum for the last couple of months due to lots of work and family commitments. I'd love to see your mini-medal groups if you want to post them :)

Finally got around to digging them out...

thumbnail (2)f.jpg

Here is one in my collection to a PV-2 aircrewman who Flew on a January 13, 1956 U.S. Navy transcontinental non-stop plane flight from McMurdo Sound to the Weddell Sea and back . 

A Mountain in Antarctica was named for him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Gorecki

During the 60's was he was a officer , earning an Air Medal with VF-33 over Vietnam.

gor1.jpg

gor2.jpg

I once had a group to a KIA Marine from Vietnam Named Enrique Lorenzo Garcia - He was KIA in 1966 but did a prior US Navy Enlistment - When the Marine Corps sent his awards to his NOK they also included his Antartica Service Medal - I wish I had a photo of the group to share.

Bill

18 hours ago, KASTAUFFER said:

Here is one in my collection to a PV-2 aircrewman who Flew on a January 13, 1956 U.S. Navy transcontinental non-stop plane flight from McMurdo Sound to the Weddell Sea and back . 

A Mountain in Antarctica was named for him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Gorecki

During the 60's was he was a officer , earning an Air Medal with VF-33 over Vietnam.

gor1.jpg

gor2.jpg

Now THAT is really something! Not only does he seem to have a really varied and interesting career, but he has a mountain named after him to boot. Can't be too many collectors out there who own items belonging to someone with a mountain named for them. That is really cool!