M-1 Helmet Liner Brass Mold

TCSchultz

My friend turned up what I believe to be a M-1 Helmet Liner Brass Mold and he asked me to post it here so we can figure out what it is.  It's the same shape and size as a M-1 Shell but it's made of solid brass with no bales or other fittings.  A liner will fit into it if you press it in but it won't fit into a shell as it's the same size.  My thoughts are that it was used as a production mold for making the liners or perhaps to resize them after they were warped from use.  No markings on it beyond some kid putting stars on it and it's quite heavy in weight and heft.  

Helmet Liner Mold 4.JPG

Helmet Liner Mold 1.JPG

Helmet Liner Mold 2.JPG

Helmet Liner Mold 3.JPG

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this brass helmet mold as I can't find anything like it on line or here in the forum.  I would have to think it's quite rare as a production item for making liners if that in fact is what it is.  

Very interesting shell! Never seen such one before. You sure it is solid brass (or any copper alloy), and not just plated? Have you tried weighing it? Now while copper does not have a significant higher density, it is a little heavier than iron and manganese. An unpainted M1 shell, but with loops (movable) and rim, weighs around 950-975 gram (McCord), while a painted shell with chinstraps around 1050-1090 gram (McCord) Schlueter shells tents to be 30-50 grams lighter.

Is it cast or draw from a sheet (disc), like the normal M1?

Unfortunately, I cannot help with what it is for, only guessing. Does not seem to be a mold if it is the same size as a normal shell. Maybe as you say for liners. Maybe intended for used in an environment where sparks are dangerous, some gas environment maybe?

Would love some close up images, around where the loops would have been, the heat stamp would have been and the edge. Is the edge trimmed?

RememberThe5thESB

Reminds me of a war memorial in the town I live in. There's a brass looking copy of an M1, on a rifle butt between 2 boots. Could be something similar.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

It's twice as heavy as a M-1 helmet so it's not a shell but the idea of it being part of a monument makes sense being that it appears to be brass or bronze.  There was no markings nor any mounts for the bales or anything else inside.  Maybe it was supposed to be used as a war memorial or part of a statue.