AAF A2 Flight Jacket

S1991

Hey guys,

Tried searching the forum but I didn't really find what I was looking for.

Could anyone steer me into the right direction for a good copy of the USAAF A2 jacket? I know of Buzz Rickson's and Eastman's being one of the top on the market.

Yet are there others out there as well? 

Looking forward hearing from you all!

Silvano

Man...that is a deep rabbit hole...it might help to know the intended use...casual wear...re enacting...collecting ...Flight Suits makes a mid range A2....5 star leather lo range but getting great reviews....Bill Kelso...high end...Cooper is the best bang for the buck...get the Saddlerly line...which is the USAF issue line...good luck

7 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

Man...that is a deep rabbit hole...it might help to know the intended use...casual wear...re enacting...collecting ...Flight Suits makes a mid range A2....5 star leather lo range but getting great reviews....Bill Kelso...high end...Cooper is the best bang for the buck...get the Saddlerly line...which is the USAF issue line...good luck

Thank you! Forgot to mention it would be for casual wear.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of options it depends on how much you are swilling to spend.

If you want museum type accuracy remember there where many makers/contracts and each one had colour, slight design and fit differences, the high end makers make repros of the different makers. original leather was mainly horsehide but steer and goatskin was also used,  variations of different shades of brown where also used  russet, seal, caramel etc.

None of the higher end makers will customise other than longer sleeves and length as it would be seen as compromising the originality.

Aero leathers in Scotland will alter shoulders etc.

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com

Platon of JA Dubow mfg does probably the cheapest and best value higher end jacket but are only makes the Dubow contract.

https://jadubowmfg.com/a-2-jackets/

John Chapman of Goodwear considered by many to be the best, expensive and a one man operation and very, very long waiting times.

Good site as it explains the variation of fits of the different makers.

https://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html

As already mentioned eastman and bill kelso, eastman is pricey though, covid is causing problems with supply chains and normally these makers make each jacket to order so there will be a wait.

Buying used on ebay is a good option for the dearer jackets.

An option in between the higher end and just a generic not very accurate jacket is five star leathers who are based in Pakistan.

The photos on the website are rubbish but they now have the best customer service and customisation options of any maker and Shawn the owner is constantly trying to improve his jackets, you will be sent a photo of the jacket with measuring tape showing the dimensions of the measurements you asked for before the jacket is sent and they are really fast with their orders.

Modern issue jacket are cheap the earlier are best, the orchard contract in particular.

If you don't want to waste you money I highly advise you to visit the vintage leather jackets forum of which I and a few others here are members of before you buy anything, plenty of threads about all of these makers and members will answer any questions you have.

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org

• 2 years later...

I've been trying to find an Eastman Escape online for a dogs age, nothing yet. They are quite pricey, i think from the start they have doubled even from what they originally sold for!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Azeeze312

I

On 12/21/2023 at 8:58 PM, willysmb44 said:

Check out Headwind.

They make really good A2s. I bought one last month and its dead on for the originals I’ve owned.

20231120_120812-01.jpeg.65ff54aa6a93dddcdf177aaf965691d0.jpeg

How is the fit? Seems like with all different companies I’m sized differently? Did you feel the need to size up in comparison with your normal chart size? 

im a 42R and some companies my measurements lined up with a 46r. 

cheers 

MinutemanEMTer

I can't find that jacket on their site. Only the 1927 pattern and the 1931 pattern show up. Do you have a link directly to that jacket page?

Azeeze312
4 hours ago, MinutemanEMTer said:

I can't find that jacket on their site. Only the 1927 pattern and the 1931 pattern show up. Do you have a link directly to that jacket page?

They’re currently low on stock on most sizes if not sold out , I reached out directly they said another batch should be on the way in the next month or so 

https://www.headwindmfg.com/bronco.html