WWII German Dress Bayonet with "Sweetheart grips"

11thcavsniper

11thcavsniper

Rummage sale find. I was surprised to find this at a local Rummage sale. He had listed a couple of knives in his ad. When I got there I had to ask if had already sold them. He said no I have them in the house. He brought them out and one was a hunting knife and this one. I asked him where he got it and he said it was his grandfathers but he had passed away and had no further information on it. I haven't seen much information on Sweetheart grips on bayonets.

sweetheart 1.jpg

sweetheart 3.jpg

sweetheart 5.jpg

sweetheart 6.jpg

sweetheart 4.jpg

Very cool find! Is that his Grandfather with the pistol, Grandmother in the boat? Excellent that it is directly from the family. What branch of service was he in?

Thanks for posting this. Some collectors would say it is ruined, but when the vet does it, it is great history.

BKW

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is an intriguing bayonet (modified). First, usually it's just females depicted in grips, but this has a male on one side. The male appears to be African-American and the female being Caucasian. If the two are "sweethearts", how scandalous for the era. 

Thats awesome...i had a sweatheart grip german bayo too...unfortunately i sold it and still regret it😩 i might still have pics if its ok to ad to your thread?....mike