Marine Bringback Yosegaki Hinomaru from Saipan

Blueprint

Good Evevning all! 

Today I wanted to share with you this fantastic piece with provenance. 

It is a silk yosegaki hinomaru which belonged to a soldier named "Morita (...)saburo", seen on the far left and the wartime slogan "May your life be long lasting" right besides his name.

Around the sun are names of well-wishers written in the typical manner.  

It was captured on Saipan by "Lawrence R. Linde" in 1944. He was a member of the 24th Regiment Marching Band, 4th Marines. He made landings on Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. A year ago I purchased his grouping. 

Luckily his family kept a journal throughout the whole war, as his brother was also in the war, serving in the navy. On one of the pages is a newspaper picture of Lawrence and his brother, both holding the flag on Hawaii as Lawrence was recuperating from his wounds, recieved on Saipan. 

The flag is now safely stored in my war-room. But I did a picture of both, the flag and the article.

Enjoy!

Blueprint

artikel sample.jpg

JFfinal.jpg

Thank you all! 

I’m still waiting for his records, so there might be more interesting history to it. 

Blueprint

Kurt Barickman

Photos of the Japanese captured signed flag with the veteran in a period photo from wartime are very difficult to find; congrats on the acquisition and a Gyrene to boot!

Kurt 

Thank you all for your comments! 

I had put the flag up for translation on the "Japan Reference Forum" and the name is a different one as I first thought it is. 

The name of the japanese Soldier was "Yoshida Yazaburō" 義田彌三郎

And the slogan to the right of Yazaburō is 祈武運長久 (inoru buunchōkyū), meaning pray for good/everlasting luck in battle.

Blueprint