Your opinions on this M-1 and liner

P-59A

This is not mine. I looked at it in person and would like your opinions please. It has one more name ink stamped in the liner to another person. I will post that when I get it

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

imagejpeg_0(3).jpg

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg

Resized_20201111_095434.jpeg

Neither serial number is that of an officer as their number starts with O.

Do you know the maker of the liner Capac ?

Look like a WW2 shell that was used post war.

Is it a Marine helmet, i see the cover?

It is a Micanta ? 1951 liner, The USMC  cover was put on. It did not come with the helmet. I also noticed the s/n's were not 0-. The paint on the liner throws me off. The Capt. bars on it were tape placed on the liner when it was repainted and then peeled off when still wet. As can be seen that paint was done some time ago as it is chipping off now. I'm not sure what I am looking at.

I asked a well informed forum member this question...

"Is there a numeric difference between dog tags issued in the Korean War and WW2?

Answer:  Yes AND no.

During the Korean War, WW2 personnel who chose to remain on active duty kept their original service numbers, regardless of their new component.

In 1948, the Army opened up the 50 million service number series. These numbers would range from 50 000 000 to 59 999 999 and would be assigned to personnel who were either drafted into the Army of the United States or who enlisted into the Army Reserve. As with the older 30 million numbers, the first two numbers were determined by the geographical region from which a soldier was drafted or had enlisted. Numbers beginning with "50" specified an entry location outside the United States with 50 0 reserved for Hawaii, 50 1 reserved for Panama and Puerto Rico, and 50 2 reserved for Alaska. Within the United States, the geographical codes were:

51: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont

52: Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia

53: Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee

54: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas

55: Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Wyoming

56: Arizona, California, Idaho, Georgia, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington

Service numbers beginning with 57, 58, and 59 were not assigned a specific geographical region and were used for enlisted personnel in the Army Reserve or those assigned to special duties. When the Korean War began in 1950, this service number system was used throughout the conflict and through the remainder of the 1950s. The Regular Army service number system, ranging from 10 to 19 million, remained unchanged.

Officer service numbers during this period ranged from 50 000 to 500 000 (set aside for West Point graduates and Regular Army officers) and 500 001 to 3 000 000 used by reserve and direct appointment officers. All officer service numbers by this point were preceded by a zero."

It very well could be a captains helmet.

The bars look good to me. 

He must have switched liners at some point.

I love dog tags and know a little bit about them but not enough to answer your questions.

Interesting that the liner looks WW2 with the hole in front.

Capac got liners from Westinghouse after the war and put in the darker green webbing, those liners are double stamped with hole in front like yours.

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

It very well could be a captains helmet.

The bars look good to me. 

He must have switched liners at some point.

I love dog tags and know a little bit about them but not enough to answer your questions.

Interesting that the liner looks WW2 with the hole in front.

Capac got liners from Westinghouse after the war and put in the darker green webbing, those liners are double stamped with hole in front like yours.

During the Korean war Micada made a production run of liners that have that hole. Those have dates that range from 51-53 under the Micada name